Water intrusion spare tire well and rear passenger quarter panel

• Water intrusion spare tire well and rear passenger quarter panel

Alas my 10 minutes of searching the forum have come up fruitless, even though I know I've seen posts on this before. Ran the Z through the car wash today after removing all the seats (save the driver one) and removing the carpet. Purpose was to clean under the carpet before installing the new carpet and… leak check the car. I was noticing some dampness in the rear passenger quarter panel with quite a bit of mud before hand. While washing, I noticed the driver side T-top is still leaking at the front. Should be a simple fix of more silicone. However, there's a little drip into the spare tire well as well as the water inside the passenger rear quarter (next to the well). I dont' believe it's the rear quarter window-- there's no evidence of that, plus the butyl tape is new and looks to be in position. Where else couild the leak(s) be coming from? Side marker light? hatch rubber?
    --------------
    Legal stuff:
    **Nissan Employee**
    Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
    '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving… just details left
    '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers…
    '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
    '00 Corolla-- kids car.
    '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Ther rear tail lights commonly have sagging butyl issues too, which can let water into the spare tire well.

I had a pesky leak in my 84T that the water was coming in from the rear t-top drain (the seam seal had cracked) and instead of it leaking straight down, it ran down inside the hatch pillar (c pillar ?) and dripped down onto the trim before running into the rear quarter panel area. That was a pain in the ass to determine.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

I fixed that years ago, I got rear-ended and Farmers at the time forced me to use used parts, that rear quarter started to fill up with water 2-3 years later and my great agent forced them to give me a brand new one. Then flash foward nearly 15 years later and got rear ended again. This tiem when they were repairing it they found mother rust big time in that spare tire well. It was almost lucky that the guy hit me so they were able to cut the entire thing and fabricated a new one with me. The issue was a drain hole that was supposed to be in there that was clogged.

I used the scientific garden hose method and found it. Looks like the bolt holes where the rear bumper skin attaches as well as the center tail light panel. Both are going to be a pain….
    --------------
    Legal stuff:
    **Nissan Employee**

not legal stuff:
    '00 Corolla-- kids car.

got the water leaks fixed. changed out the factory foam seal with butyl tape left over from doing the turn signal combi's and rear quarter panels. Bumper leak's fixed too… All of the nuts were loose--- go figure. I remember tightening them too. guess the skin shifted while driving.
    Attached Files
    • center light 3.jpg (100.1 KB)
    • center light 1.jpg (98.5 KB)
    • center light 2.jpg (101.1 KB)
    --------------
    Legal stuff:
    **Nissan Employee**

not legal stuff:
    '00 Corolla-- kids car.