Halfshaft disassembly of inner BDO bearing assy (pic)

• Halfshaft disassembly of inner BDO bearing assy (pic)

How did you guys separate the shaft from the inner race.

Thinking about clamping the shaft in a vice and using a mallet and a chunk of wood and
    beating on the housing. I'm reconditioning a set of unicorn SS halfshafts and don't want to break anything.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

+1 (ought to move boot from another side)
    Z31 JDM my way_google translated

bring it over to my house. I was able to separate both sides simply by trying to get them out of the diff when I did my RCA bushings.
    seriously tho, there is a clip at the top that you have to get past and FSM says to just tap it out.
    Why do you have to remove it?

Both inner and outer boots were torn, so i got new boots and want to clean the old contaminated grease out of both sides before reassembly.
    The inner race was nearly impossible to remove, but in hindsight i should have let it soak in PB blaster first.

I sorta remembered (and just verified) that the FSM says it was a non-disassembly design, so that means
    even if i were to get the shaft out, the carrier and inner race don't come out of the housing.

I thought that if i had the shaft out, i could rotate the race 90deg and pop out the ball bearings then races,
    but thinking about it again, that most likely wouldn't work.

I guess flushing it with solvent/cleaner (leaving the shaft in place) to get the grease out is probably the best option.

AXLE.jpg

It is possible to separate it.

Interesting. Thanks for the picture.
    That inner circle clip is what i thought the outer snap ring was in the diagram, as it only shows one..d'oh.

I don't want to damage inner race, so thought there are different options besides "sledge hummer"

Houston, we have separation:

I brought it into my shop at work and made some aluminum jaw pads for my vice
    then just a couple of whacks (letting gravity do it's work) downward on the outer race popped it right out.
    No hammering required, no damage to the race(s).

wait, I don't get it.
    you holding shaft in jaws, and few whacks to inner race?

Nice! Good work!

Originally posted by midian
    wait, I don't get it.
    you holding shaft in jaws, and few whacks to inner race?
    Like dis:

Originally posted by Z_Karma
    Like dis:

I was too lazy that time to draw in cad (or solid) =)

Heh, i started in paint but haint the new mspaint compared to what last came with XP and
    did that with Sketchup, all but the shaft, arrow and text was a premade model i downloaded.