Gauge of Fusible Link (Battery)

• Gauge of Fusible Link (Battery)

I recently blew the "Battery" fusible link, I caused the short and fixed the problem, and in the mean time I just have the fusible link twisted together. I obviously want to fix this, and I know MSA has a replacement part, but it makes more sense to fix it myself, in my opinion. So I'm trying to figure out what the gauge is for the fusible link, I've seen on other forums people using 16 gauge, but no real reference to a source. Any help is appreciated, thank you for your time.

I don't think it's a standard AWG stranded wire.
    The jacketing isn't your average PVC and when it blows
    it melts like it has solder in it. I blew one when i tried to jumpstart
    a coworkers car. I was able to solder it back together.

If your handy with a soldering iron, you could solder in a inline fuse
    to the plug body terminals on the blown fuse. Like this:

I would also try a local wrecking yard, pick-n-pull if they are good.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

I like the idea of soldering in a in line fuse for ease replacement

But is a "standard" fuse, one you would use in the fuse box, strong enough or would a maxi fuse need to be used. I did this on my previous 300zx and it blew standard 30 amp fuses no problem, now this likely could have been a short but I installed an inline fuse and it's just not as clean. My car isn't pretty or clean by any means but I would rather try to keep it a little cleaner by replacing the fusible on my own, but thanks for the advice, I was considering this. So, if anyone now the SWG or AWG of this fusible link I would like to know, thank you.

Most cars the battery amp fuse is 80A up to 120A.

Remember that the stock alternators on the Z31 can dish out up to 60A. So you will need a fusible link or fuse rated at least 70-80 amps or higher.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

You need to use the proper rated fuse for the circuit you want to protect.

A fusible link is a heavy duty REALLY slow blow type fuse.

A normal fuse will pop as soon as there is a current spike such as when you first start the car.

You really want to replace this with another fusible link.

If memory serves me right nissan color codes their fusible links by the wire color.

So if you goto a junkyard and find another fusible link of the same color from another simular year nissan, it doesn't have to be a Z, should drop right in. I know I've got a spare sitting in the glove box myself.
    Life's short
    Go fast
    Have a blast
    Leave a good looking corpse

Thank you flatfoot, never considered that. Thanks, and keep any information or ideas coming.

Yes the factory link is a slow blow fuse but all of the individual circuits on the car are fused again at the fuse box so if you did install a fused link and installed the proper size fuse that can handle the cranking amps there would be no adverse consequences.

Still looking for information about the gauge of the wire, thank you.