Oil Gauge and Light Issue

• Oil Gauge and Light Issue

Hey guys,

A few months ago my Z developed an electronic issue with the oil gauge and light, luckily that's all it's been because there are no leaks, sounds, or anything odd with the way it runs. When I first start my car, the oil light comes on for about two seconds, then shuts off. While I let it run the gauge climbs up to 30, but if I come to a stop while driving, it will descend to 0. Sometimes when it does this the light does not come on, but the light always comes on when the stop is more harsh and the gauge will immediately drop. I had replaced the sending unit with one from parts geek when I first had this issue but that did not solve the problem.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me if the light is based on a different sensor than the gauge, or if they work with each other. I currently do not know if the issue is my new sending unit, the gauge, or something else. I don't have a mechanical gauge to hook up, but I may be able to locate one to borrow. Any thoughts as to what my issue is? Thanks!

Did u check oil level? These engines are notorious for holding lots of oil up on top of the heads, might have momentary oil starvation. I would def get a mechanical gage in there to verify pressure.
    GL
    Mike
    Butter (credit where credit is due): "You have this "gift" where you can make cooking a Hot Pocket seem like you need a certain wavelength microwave and involve brown mustard."

The oil sender is a 2 wire unit that uses the engine block as ground.

One wire is variable resistor based on pressure.

The other is a low pressure switch. that triggers your low pressure light. This one is normally open so if someway you cut the wire it will trigger the light.

you might try to temperarily ground this wire to the block with the key in the run position with the engine off to double check your wiring is in one piece. I know my harness has a problem on the sender wire but not the pressure light, hence the aftermarket oil pressure gauge.
    Life's short
    Go fast
    Have a blast
    Leave a good looking corpse