Distributor Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) Removal

• Distributor Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) Removal

Can anyone point to me where in the FSM the process to remove this is? I distroyed the last one trying to get it out. The brass screws just fell apart with a small twist.

I was trying to pull one from a later model Maxima and they are epoxied in. I believe they are the same.
    Jeff
    71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

I'm an idiot. Simply and carefully remove the chopper wheel. Flip the entire distributor over and unscrew the bolted on connector. Flip it back over and remove the 3 scews holding it down. Then remove the sensor.
    Jeff
    71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

What about the metal collar that is directly underneath the chopper wheel? It's a tight fit for me. I cannot pull it out yet and I am afraid of prying it off.

I've changed them before without even removing the distributor or unscrewing the connector…did it in-car multiple times. Just be patient and take your time.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

michaelp wrote: I've changed them before without even removing the distributor or unscrewing the connector…did it in-car multiple times. Just be patient and take your time.
    The collar below my chopper wheel, however, is seized on the shaft. Did you heat the collar to remove it?…Hammer it?

A quick shot of PB Blaster for the collar piece, a flat head screw driver and some patience and that collar piece will work its way out. Just be gentle while prying it. And make sure not to spray PB Blaster on the lens part of the sensor, not sure what it will do to it.

Make sure everything is clean and wiped off before you put it back together.

It can be done in car, you just have to be gentle. Once you have it to where you can get the CAS out, gently wiggle the sensor and pull up on it slightly and it will come unplugged.

I got it out with a valve spring tool its all good.