Shocks

• Shocks

I got some Gabriel rear shocks from autozone the other day for 25 each…Im not to familiar with suspension setups and I was wondering if you can use lowering springs with these.
    Also, I've never replaced shocks and was wondering how hard/easy it is on z's

Its not difficult to replace the shocks on the Z31. Gabriel shocks with lower springs.....mmm…not the best combination of spring and shocks to have. The only advantage you have is that Autozone sell the shocks with lifetime warranty, so you won't spend money replacing the shocks. I will recommend you to buy good shocks when you can like Tokico, Bilstein or maybe KYB. Gabriel shocks are sell to use them with stock(OEM) configuration so if you install lower spring they won't last. I believe the guys here will tell you almost the same.
    Straights are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.
    Life Starts at 1.3Bar(17Psi).

Yes you can use them but they are not performance friendly. It is an easy install

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Oh alright..
    Well I bought them for now because they were so cheap, and when i hit 55 the rear end loves to shake and wobble and it scares the shit out of me..
    A few of my friends suggested cutting my springs the "right" way..but the right way is buying springs so I'll either save up for them, or cut them cause I really wanted it lowered.
    If I cut them, will it be a horrible ride until I can afford new ones?

Your rearend is most likely wobbling because the control arm and crossmember bushings are shot. Also check the rear wheel bearings.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

reddzx wrote: Your rearend is most likely wobbling because the control arm and crossmember bushings are shot. Also check the rear wheel bearings.

+++++1

An YESSS........the ride comfort of the car will suffer if you cut the springs. Maybe at first you won't notice to much difference but your car suspension will scream in pain......lol.

Plus when you lower the car your camber is going to be off and you will need to spend time/money fixing that.
    Z Club of Texas Member/Forum Administrator

Current Z:
    1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 50th Anniversary Edition

The shocks are great now that I got them on, no more wobbling, so I think the bushings and control arm are okay. the old shocks were so shot that when you hold them in the air gravity itself pulls the top down....so my car was practically sitting on springs the whole time..
    I really want to lower it, but I think I'll just wait and get the right springs/shocks for it considering I want the baddest Z in town.

bcalloway24 wrote: The shocks are great now that I got them on, no more wobbling, so I think the bushings and control arm are okay. the old shocks were so shot that when you hold them in the air gravity itself pulls the top down....so my car was practically sitting on springs the whole time..
    I really want to lower it, but I think I'll just wait and get the right springs/shocks for it considering I want the baddest Z in town.

Cool.......good luck on your quest for the baddest Z in your town.