Head work: What should I expect to pay?

• Head work: What should I expect to pay?

As the title says, I'll be pulling the heads and taking them to a local performance shop to have them inspected, cleaned, and resurfaced. I will not have them pressure tested. I was quoted $250 for the above provided they were "ready for the machine shop".

Any thoughts?

|dg
    1987 GL Slicktop | SS 729 Under Renovation

take it to a machine shop instead of a performance shop.

I paid 120 some odd dollars last time I had a resurface. They cleaned it a bit beforehand as well.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

OK, sounds like this is too much, then…for what I need done.

DAMN…thats A LOT!.

Here 120 to have it decked and pressure tested, and of course they clean it. And that is 2 heads.
    My Build Thread

60 bucks to resurface the heads here. 30 bucks to install new valve seals.

The local CarQuest resurfaced the heads, checked valve stem to guide clearance and pressure tested for $130.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Ok, got another quote for $160. Much bettah!

What about a good port and polishing? What's the best and worst cost?
    "This forum is the difference between those who have done it and are willing to share their knowledge and those who just pretend to know by reading things on the internet but are unable to answer intelligent questions."

86 red z31 NA2T GLL
    85 black z31 turbo GL chassis

strongbad728 wrote: What about a good port and polishing? What's the best and worst cost?
    600 seems to be the average. A couple members on here were offering p&p for that price. My local shop said 600.