Dash lights

• Dash lights

They went kaput today while I was screwing around with my CD player and electronic heater/AC center unit BS thing…I went to put the fuse for the interior lights back in, when i plugged it in it immediately shorted out. OK, something is still grounding where it shouldnt be. Found it, its fixed, all the interior lights and CD player crap works again, but I had noticed that my dash lights (electronic) and the two other gauges on an electronic car (compass and MPG for the NA) are not lighting up.

Checked all the other fuses, they all work.
    Checked fusable links under the hood, they all appear to be fine.

While at the panel under the dash on the drivers side, I could see light coming from behind the gauge cluster still, so the lights are on, but the LCD panel isnt coming on im guessing?

This is very frustrating because i was only even mucking around because Its getting later into the year, and i wanted my heater fans/cd player/interior lights to all work before it gets cold. All that crap works again, but now my none of my actual important lights work. Any suggestions? Did i fry my digi gauge cluster? Am I doing the analog swap sooner than i had planned?

Build thread http://z31performance.com/showthread…-Paint-done-eh

stufferton wrote: They went kaput today while I was screwing around with my CD player and electronic heater/AC center unit BS thing…I went to put the fuse for the interior lights back in, when i plugged it in it immediately shorted out. OK, something is still grounding where it shouldnt be. Found it, its fixed, all the interior lights and CD player crap works again, but I had noticed that my dash lights (electronic) and the two other gauges on an electronic car (compass and MPG for the NA) are not lighting up.

Checked all the other fuses, they all work.
    Checked fusable links under the hood, they all appear to be fine.

While at the panel under the dash on the drivers side, I could see light coming from behind the gauge cluster still, so the lights are on, but the LCD panel isnt coming on im guessing?

This is very frustrating because i was only even mucking around because Its getting later into the year, and i wanted my heater fans/cd player/interior lights to all work before it gets cold. All that crap works again, but now my none of my actual important lights work. Any suggestions? Did i fry my digi gauge cluster? Am I doing the analog swap sooner than i had planned?
    I literally had the SAME thing happen to me, except the whole unit just went out within a minute after starting the car up. Did you check the power supply unit? I tried a new(er) unit, and it didn't make any difference. So, anyone who knows what's up would be a great help.

2001 Mazda Miata LS
    also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

Check to see if the rear hatch wiper still works, if not, change that fuse. The power supply runs through the rear wiper fuse in the panel.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Before this weekend the gauge cluster worked fine but my AC unit and stereo didn't. I'll try the rear wiper fuse when I get home but I know for sure that the gauges still worked even when my heater/ac and cd player didn't.

reddzx wrote: Check to see if the rear hatch wiper still works, if not, change that fuse. The power supply runs through the rear wiper fuse in the panel.
    ^this, is what it was. Pulled the fuse again and it was blown in a spot a bit harder to see through the plastic. I must have missed it on first glance and didnt check it again since it's only labeled as the rear wiper…

My fuse was still good, so I poked around with it and after some more extensive jiggling of the wires going into the power core I was able to get a little bit of power to the "average mph" and "miles till empty" displays, but they would cycle thru all the numbers and flash as I would tweak with the harness. So, since I was able to get some power out of it, it's safe to assume I need a new dash harness?

2001 Mazda Miata LS
    also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

xbxrxtorquex wrote: My fuse was still good, so I poked around with it and after some more extensive jiggling of the wires going into the power core I was able to get a little bit of power to the "average mph" and "miles till empty" displays, but they would cycle thru all the numbers and flash as I would tweak with the harness. So, since I was able to get some power out of it, it's safe to assume I need a new dash harness?
    Nope, just check and fix the connector pins. Check for loose pins or bent/tweaked pins. Also look for corrosion, chaffing, or other things that common sense would tell you that doesn't look right.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

NissanEgg wrote: Nope, just check and fix the connector pins. Check for loose pins or bent/tweaked pins. Also look for corrosion, chaffing, or other things that common sense would tell you that doesn't look right.
    One of the postitive wires going into the larger connector for the power supply looks bent and broken inside the coating, and after some tweaking with it I was able to get barely a little power to the bottom right corner of the dash. It's too close to the connector, so it would be a pain to cut and try and pull of the pin to solder a new wire in there, so I have a new dash harness coming in from Steve at 300zxpartsforyou.com

2001 Mazda Miata LS
    also a 1989 Nissan 240SX