Cluster Illumination- Blown Lamps

• Cluster Illumination- Blown Lamps

While trying to figure out why I don't have any dash lights I pulled the "Illumination" strip from the top of my analog cluster.
    [attachment=2:1218b]FSMLamps.jpg[/attachment:1218b]
    [attachment=1:1218b]LampSet.jpg[/attachment:1218b]
    3 out of 4 are blown, I'm thinking about using high intensity LEDs if I can't get replacements.
    Anyone know where to get replacements for these?
    [attachment=0:1218b]Lamp.jpg[/attachment:1218b]
    1984 NA to T Digi-Dash, Morgan's Cam Gears @ -3, Team Green Air Filter, Top Mount Intercooler, Turbo XS Boost Controller, Greddy Type RS BOV, CM 3" Down Pipe, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and Maxima E-Fans.

1984 NA 2+2 - New Project Solid Axle Rear - Former Best 1/4 mile 13.452 @105.77mph.

PM zmech. I am pretty sure he can help you out.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

z

Here's an option I threw together and it works very well. You need two packs of DE3021 Lamps, a little wire, solder, and of course a soldering iron. I cut a small piece of wire to go through the holes on the left and right of the stock rubber piece, I bent the wire over the back pole and soldered the lamp to the wire and the wire going through the back pole to the contact on the back side. The new lamps are a little bit larger than the old set, but it fits just fine, no modifications were necessary. This could be cleaned up a little with real clamps so the bulbs could be changed more easily in the future.
    [attachment=2:a2696]LampNew.jpg[/attachment:a2696]

With them all changed over to the DE3021's
    [attachment=1:a2696]LampSetNew.jpg[/attachment:a2696]

The top shot has one good stock lamp and three DE3021's, the bottom is all DE3021's.
    [attachment=0:a2696]LampSetNewOldDark.jpg[/attachment:a2696]
    1984 NA to T Digi-Dash, Morgan's Cam Gears @ -3, Team Green Air Filter, Top Mount Intercooler, Turbo XS Boost Controller, Greddy Type RS BOV, CM 3" Down Pipe, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and Maxima E-Fans.

1984 NA 2+2 - New Project Solid Axle Rear - Former Best 1/4 mile 13.452 @105.77mph.

People interested in doing high intensity LEDs, you'll want two LEDs for each rubber piece. You'd just need to solder on the proper resistor(s) and you'd be good to go.
    [attachment=0:d3938]LampLED.jpg[/attachment:d3938]

z

Darren,

Do you want to put some leds into my dash for me? In place of these lights? If the parts car is still there on sunday I will pull one and send it to you.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

zmech wrote: Here is the issue with that setup.
    The LEDs that you used are 5mm domed and diffused. If you really want light from the LEDs then you have to make it point toward the dash.

Darren
    The way some of them are built I'm not sure you'd absolutely have to do that, but it would definitely help.
    I didn't actually use those LEDs, I just put them in there for reference since I mentioned the thought of using LEDs in the initial post.