Cleaning Parts?

• Cleaning Parts?

Getting ready to put the new motor and tranny together and in the car.

I was going to install the turbo intake piping, but I noticed the inside of the tube has a light coat of oil. Same thing on the inside of the intake manifolds. On the lower intake manifold, the ports have varying amounts of oil coating. I thought it would be a good idea to clean them up, so I had my mechanic use his parts washer. It cleaned up the outsides of the manifold but he said I need them steam cleaned to clean the actual intake ports.

Is this normal for pcv valve equipped engine? Will this affect anything, or is it only visual? If it is a good idea to do it while engine is out, what kind of shop would have a steam cleaner? I called the radiator shop thinking that was a good bet, but they don't have one…
    1986 300zx turbo, 5-speed, T-Top 2 seater

Well, I ran a rag through the turbo up-pipe. That took care of that. And if anyone is wondering about cleaning the intake manifold, go to a machine shop. The local little shop is puttting them in a tank over the weekend for $30.
    1986 300zx turbo, 5-speed, T-Top 2 seater

Castrol Super Clean engine degreaser. Comes in a purple bottle. It's all you'll ever need.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Believe it or not I use Orange hand cleaner as my degreaser, dilute it a little bit with water and put it in a big container and use a brass wire brush. everything comes out squeaky clean. Works on turbos, intake plenum's, heads everything.
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i
    1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
    http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com