Fuel pressure starting problem?

• Fuel pressure starting problem?

Thought maybe someone has seen this before or could give me someplace to start.

I have a starting problem, if I put the key in and try to start like a normal car.. nada.. just turns over no fire… but if I turn the key to on and let the fuel pump prime for 5 to 10 sec, it will start with no problem. Obviously I am having some sort of fuel pressure problem. anyone know if there is some sort of check valve or something that is letting the fuel siphon back away from the injectors or something like that. I have thought of getting a fuel pressure reading, but obvioulsy ok once running.. .. car runs great..

Thanks

James
    Who needs new car's, Nissan had it right 30 years ago!!!

It could be various things.

An edgy fuel pump, a clogged fuel filter(rare but possible), fuel pressure regulator, or faulty injectors.
    Compressed Springs is the scariest shit EVER!

" border="0" alt="">

I have the same problem too, but measured fuel pressure once before and it's ok. Plus I've replaced the entire front of the engine when I did the timing belt. Was told changing to a new/rebuilt MAF might help. That is the next thing I'm going to try, but it sucks because it's likely not to work and I'll be out $200. It is a common problem on these cars but unfortunately there is no real smoking gun fix.

Mine doesn't always start on the first crank with that key on pump prime trick. A lot of times it has a hard time starting after it has warmed up. Mine seems to start a lot better in the cold too.

either the pump or the fpr is likely bad. you can clamp off the return line from the fpr after having just started it and let it sit. if its still hard to start then could be the pump. if not then the fpr. possible that you have a 84-86 that have hot start issues to which you can do nothing about besides update the rom or switch to a newer ecu.
    Last edited by shromy; 06-10-2016, 12:22 PM.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

I think shromy was replying to the OP, but in my case I replaced the FPR with a new Nissan unit. If I had a bad fuel pump, I don't think I'd have 3 years of driving on it. However, I'll eventually replace the fuel pump just as preventative maintenance, it is 27 years old. I'll probably order up a reman MAF this summer and see if that does the trick. If it does, I'll do a write up on it.