Rocker Stud

• Rocker Stud

This might be a stupid question but I'm just curious.

I was putting my rockers back in my heads with a friend. He took the right head and I took the left one. We were putting the studs in just until they started to get tight so we can torque them. And one snapped on my friend. Its the upper rocker and would be the 4th one ( if we were counting from the stud closer to the fire wall to the front of the car). This really sucks as I already took my heads to get checked and everything awhile ago.

My question is, would I be fine with one missing stud? Has anyone gone through this? Again sorry if this a stupid question, of course the right thing to do would be to take it to the shop and get it drilled out. But I finally started putting everything back on the engine

This is very common even torqued to spec, luckily I've ripped up some 30's and had spares to drop in.

the bolts will usually snap at the upper grip to thread 'neck' meaning if you release the rocker arm bolts you can get a vise grip on the remainder to back it out.

ensure you have clean pitch, and *lightly* oiled (as in spraying a pan for eggs) threads with a IN/FT torque wrench
    Last edited by 88sinZ; 11-06-2016, 10:34 PM.

Awesome I got it out! I got a pointy tool (not sure what its called) and lightly hit it on a curve that it made from when it snapped. Kept hitting it till the vice grip could grab it and twisted it off
    Thank you sinz
    Now I gotta find this stud at an auto parts store. Maybe even home depot would have one?