Z31 Engine Rebuild

• Z31 Engine Rebuild

Hey guys!

New to the forums here--hoping to get some help and inspiration for mods on my '84 300zx turbo. I've taken apart most of the engine bay and removed the engine, now I'm looking at rebuild kits. I haven't rebuilt an engine before, but I'm hoping this'll be a good learning experience. I did a little bit of looking around on ebay and found this (I think the link is attached). Dealer seems reputable and the kit looks like it has everything I'd need. I'm shooting for around 300 WHP, so I want to make sure my gaskets/seals/etc are up to par for the new turbo/injectors/etc.

Do you guys have any advice going into this? Any particular kits you like?

Thanks!
    3 make} 300ZX 1984-1986 Engine Gasket Set (FGS6020) by DNJ Engine Components®. Get this top-grade quality replacement for your worn out part from DNJ. | eBay!
    Last edited by Kihnspiracy; 02-14-2017, 04:30 PM.

I've had my engine rebuilt using a kit like this. it has basically most everything you need. are you planning on doing pistons and rings and valves too? if you are already in the rebuilding process and haven't done it before, I highly recommend getting the factory service manual for the 84. you can get it here: www.xenonzcar.com
    goes through every system on the car and goes into detail on engine stuff. get a timing belt kit and replace all the cooling hoses and lines… there are lots. also, get a good NISSAN water pump, stay away from the cheap ebay ones. you don't want to go in and have to do this again. also, CHTS should be changed along with its little harness. make sure to inspect your motor mounts make sure they are not worn.
    good luck on the build and make sure everything gets back together right!

Bon

Originally posted by bonfire79 View Post
    I've had my engine rebuilt using a kit like this. it has basically most everything you need. are you planning on doing pistons and rings and valves too? if you are already in the rebuilding process and haven't done it before, I highly recommend getting the factory service manual for the 84. you can get it here: www.xenonzcar.com
    goes through every system on the car and goes into detail on engine stuff. get a timing belt kit and replace all the cooling hoses and lines… there are lots. also, get a good NISSAN water pump, stay away from the cheap ebay ones. you don't want to go in and have to do this again. also, CHTS should be changed along with its little harness. make sure to inspect your motor mounts make sure they are not worn.
    good luck on the build and make sure everything gets back together right!

Bon
    Hey, thanks Bon! I've got the Haynes manual, which has a decently detailed engine rebuild section. I'll definitely check out the stuff on that site though, thanks for linking me!

I'm not totally sure about replacing pistons/rings/valves. The car has around 180k miles on it, engine ran when I got it, but not well. I figure I might as well change them while I'm doing this though? I've read about people using z32 pistons in there, do you think that conversion is worth it??

Thanks for advice on the water pump--I wasn't even thinking that I needed to replace that. What is CHTS??

Also, do you think the set I linked to is good for 300-350 ish BHP? Is there anything else that I need to change in terms of gaskets/pistons/rings/valves to handle more boost?

Last edited by Kihnspiracy; 02-10-2017, 10:52 AM.

Cylinder Head Temp Sensor=CHTS and I always replace the CHTS subharness too.

Originally posted by Gem84Znt View Post
    Cylinder Head Temp Sensor=CHTS and I always replace the CHTS subharness too.
    Sweet, thanks man

Originally posted by Kihnspiracy View Post

Hey, thanks Bon! I've got the Haynes manual, which has a decently detailed engine rebuild section. I'll definitely check out the stuff on that site though, thanks for linking me!

I'm not totally sure about replacing pistons/rings/valves. The car has around 180k miles on it, engine ran when I got it, but not well. I figure I might as well change them while I'm doing this though? I've read about people using z32 pistons in there, do you think that conversion is worth it??

Thanks for advice on the water pump--I wasn't even thinking that I needed to replace that. What is CHTS??

Also, do you think the set I linked to is good for 300-350 ish BHP? Is there anything else that I need to change in terms of gaskets/pistons/rings/valves to handle more boost?
    yes, do change that sensor that we mentioned above and do it while everything is out because if you don't, you will have to remove the timing belt in order to get to it again…however, there is another way, but just do it now and save the headache. this was the mistake I made.

the factory service manual goes waaaaaaaaaaaay more in depth on every system on the car… the a/c section alone is like 100 pages. but the Haynes/Chiltons is a good compliment to have along with the FSM.
    you said your engine runs, but not very well. have the basics been covered? is it leaking, burning, or losing oil? how's the compression? if you don't have these problems, no need to replace all that, as you already have the turbo engine which is capable of a ton of power, provided the internals are not worn or ruined. with the right application and properly tuned, the VG30ET can handle a lot of boost.
    what are your goals? is your Z a daily driver? racing? or just want it to be a Honda slayer?

the ONLY reason that I had my engine rebuilt was because it was burning and losing oil due to bad valve seals and worn rings. plus, I wanted to do a turbo conversion on my non-turbo motor and I wanted to make sure it was solid and leak free prior to doing so. I replaced pistons with N/A ones which were slightly bigger than stock (cylinders had to be bored out), along with rings, valves, valve seals, and gaskets.

the biggest thing you can do for more power is more fuel, more air, and a good exhaust. NISTUNE is another option that will allow you to fully tune your setup. and if you are wanting to make some big gains to your car, you need to read up on this guy's stuff....
    http://redz31.suomiz.net/ he's pretty much gone over everything you need to do in order to fit your needs.

also, I would read up on everything Z31 at the xenonzcar site. good stuff to know....

Bon

Originally posted by bonfire79 View Post

yes, do change that sensor that we mentioned above and do it while everything is out because if you don't, you will have to remove the timing belt in order to get to it again…however, there is another way, but just do it now and save the headache. this was the mistake I made.

the factory service manual goes waaaaaaaaaaaay more in depth on every system on the car… the a/c section alone is like 100 pages. but the Haynes/Chiltons is a good compliment to have along with the FSM.
    you said your engine runs, but not very well. have the basics been covered? is it leaking, burning, or losing oil? how's the compression? if you don't have these problems, no need to replace all that, as you already have the turbo engine which is capable of a ton of power, provided the internals are not worn or ruined. with the right application and properly tuned, the VG30ET can handle a lot of boost.
    what are your goals? is your Z a daily driver? racing? or just want it to be a Honda slayer?

the ONLY reason that I had my engine rebuilt was because it was burning and losing oil due to bad valve seals and worn rings. plus, I wanted to do a turbo conversion on my non-turbo motor and I wanted to make sure it was solid and leak free prior to doing so. I replaced pistons with N/A ones which were slightly bigger than stock (cylinders had to be bored out), along with rings, valves, valve seals, and gaskets.

the biggest thing you can do for more power is more fuel, more air, and a good exhaust. NISTUNE is another option that will allow you to fully tune your setup. and if you are wanting to make some big gains to your car, you need to read up on this guy's stuff....
    http://redz31.suomiz.net/ he's pretty much gone over everything you need to do in order to fit your needs.

also, I would read up on everything Z31 at the xenonzcar site. good stuff to know....

Bon
    Awesome, thanks! I'll take your advice and swap that sensor while everything's out, don't really want to deal with that later.

I've done some reading through the FSM on the site you gave me since my last post--super helpful. I'll probably be back at that site a lot!

The engine ran, but died on idle. I'm pretty sure it was an issue with the vac line to fuel pressure regulator from the solenoid (guy had jury-rigged a way too large vac line on there), but I wanted to take the motor out to clean the bay (engine was spraying oil at some point in time I think and the whole engine bay is caked in 1/4inch thick black debris). I figured that I'd rebuild the engine while its out, if for anything just to learn.

Yeah as far as more power goes, my plan is to put in a bigger turbo (thinking either Holset HY35 or Garrett GT35), new injectors (Bosch 420cc or something), upgrade to a z32 fuel pump, K&N cone air filter, I/C, cat delete (possible larger diameter exhaust). For engine management I was thinking either Nistune or Megasquirt (which is actually around the same price as Nistune for the "build it yourself" model) and maybe a boost controller (might skip if I use Megasquirt). I'm looking for something I can drive around town, but also take it to the track and show off a bit.

I've been reading through your posts about turbo conversion! Seems awesome man.

Thanks
    Last edited by Kihnspiracy; 02-14-2017, 04:31 PM.