Pulling engine out

• Pulling engine out

First time pulling engine out of Z31.

Should I set cylinder #1 to TDC and remove the timing belt before anything else?

I ask because I would prefer to take the engine out, put it on a stand, and change the timing belt there. Along with all the other work I'm going to do to it.

What should I NOT do without setting TDC? Just removing timing belt?

Can I remove Intake, valve cover, etc. without setting TDC or removing belt?

THANKS!

If you plan on doing a timing belt on a stand, you can turn the engine to TDC before you remove it. But, with the engine out of the car and on a stand, you can just as easily turn it to TDC. When you do the timing belt, make sure to also do the water pump at the same time! I'd also suggest doing your front main seal and camshaft seals, since you are already there. You'll have to remove the upper plenum to remove the engine from the car, at least in my experience, as the fuel injector wiring harness is tucked down underneath. You can remove the intake and valve covers without setting TDC.
    1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

There's a pretty good list on XenonZcar.com of parts you might want to change when doing the timing belt. I used it last month when I ordered all my parts for my 87Z, since I don't know how much the previous owner did.

http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/timingbelt.html

It was almost $400 with my dealer wholesale discount at my local dealership for all Nissan parts, but if you do RockAuto.com parts it would be a lot cheaper.

You might want to add the tensioner, tensioner stud, Head tmp sensor (chts)/(chts)sub harness and that hose in the middle to your list too.