Head Gasket

• Head Gasket

I'm looking at buying a couple different z31s at the moment. One is a really clean nice shape 87 turbo. It has low miles but he said he ran too much boost and blew the head gasket and is asking a pretty good price. I'm also looking at a pretty nice shape 88na also with low miles that doesn't have issues for about the same price. opinions on this? worth buying the 87t with a blown head gasket or stick with an na in good shape without issues?

Depends on price, your abilities to do repairs, storage etc…But, if it's a late model 87, it's got the limited slip diff, that might be worth the headgasket.
    At this age, even with low miles you're probably looking at an engine service to replace seals anyway if it's not been done. Trim and color considerations
    and availability of local parts, looking for a project rather than a DD. What you want out of it will influence your decision.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

its a Z31. you're gonna have issues either way

whats the price on both of them? what do you want to do with them?
    if need to have boost and want to do power modifications, take the turbo. if not, take the NA. you will have the higher rear end and the 9.1 compression, so the car can be alot of fun to zip around town with, but if you want some good highway speed or want to race, turbo is the best bet. that will come with the lower compression and the 3.54 rear end (i think but could be wrong on that) but you will have alittle boost which can be fun. personally, i love the turbo car, but i really miss my NA.

you can fix the blown head gasket problem. plenty of parts available. just hope that the heads aren't warped.

Bon

Comment

• 3106nissan
      3106nissan commented
      both cars they are asking 3k. the potential of warped heads is what im worried about

I have done head gaskets on other cars. The repair aspect doesnt really scare me. I don't have experience with turbos. so that does scare me a little bit. It wont be a DD. I'm looking to over time build it to potentially drag. Heres a picture of the car
    Attached Files
    • received_293052071506133.jpeg (1.82 MB)

Well if that's the case buy it and build it at your own pace.looks clean.

well, if it is not driven daily and more of a project/track car, get the turbo. deal with the head gasket work and go from there. if this is the 88T then remember that has a smaller turbo than the earlier Z. it has the T25 and lower boost around 5 psi, but you won't have the lag that came with the bigger T3 turbo.

before you buy, find out exactly how many miles and if the timing belt has been changed. i would highly suggest going to this website and reading up everything on the Z31 section -- www.xenonzcar.com
    i like the color on that… but it doesn't look stock. i'm curious. you can find the OEM paint code in the engine bay identification plate. maybe the 88 year had this color though.

Comment

• 3106nissan
      3106nissan commented
      also from what i am finding everything else says the 87 has the t3 and the t25 came on the 88 and 89

• bonfire79
      bonfire79 commented
      yes. everything from 81 to 87 (on the Z cars) came with the single T3.

115K, ask him about the belt. should be changed at 60K (Nissan/Datsun)
      not a big deal if you have to change it, if you're going to have the heads off, might as well. knock out the CHTS and harness while you're at it. check ECU codes too

• mwolvinm
      mwolvinm commented
      I wouldn't worry about the timing belt change… You're going to remove it anyway to get to the head gasket, so put a new one on there when you do it. At 115k, if the first one was done on time, it's due for a new one. As for the heads.... worst case, VG33E heads are in plenty supply at the JY and bolt with minor modification. Get what you want, but I'd get the turbo in your shoes… Or keep looking and find an original turbo with a good engine.
      Last edited by mwolvinm; 09-04-2018, 12:05 PM.

as nice as it , it should not have blown a head gasket at 12 pounds with a stock turbo … so something else is going on (abuse bad maintenance)… so I'd not pay more then 2k for it if especially if the engines not running, also getting a car with good original paint is a nice thing

looking at a pretty nice shape 88na also with low miles that doesn't have issues for about the same price
    gee NA's are fun too … start having fun … enjoy it … sell it buy a turbo later
    Last edited by dbruce; 09-01-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• bonfire79
      bonfire79 commented
      I agree.

my 84 turbo is cool and quick. but myNA 87 2+2 seems to have so much more zip and start up power. there is something about it that for me makes it more enjoyable (around the city streets and free way) but the turbo is fun and smooth when it kicks in and passing feels great!
      Last edited by bonfire79; 09-01-2018, 01:58 PM.

That's a pretty color blue, but the panel fitment looks way off in the picture. I would look and ask how about the collision damage. Make sure the rails and aprons are straight. Don't forget to check for rust underneath.

That front end looks really tweaked to me.

Comment

• dbruce
      dbruce commented
      Look at the whole passenger side - it's been smooshed
      Last edited by dbruce; 09-02-2018, 10:07 AM.

• Dunkine
      Dunkine commented
      Yeah, something definitely going on there.