Timing sprocket stuck

• Timing sprocket stuck

Any advice.
    I've been hammering screwdrivers, chisels, anything that can fit behind the timing sprocket for hours now and it wont come off. I'm closer to buying a 2jz than I am getting this sprocket off. Hasn't budged even half a mm. I took the woodruf key out and it still is glued to the camshaft.

seems to be a common problem on VGs… though all the ones I have touched have just slid off, albeit with a little prying. I remember reading a write-up a few years back about having to use a puller to remove said sprocket / gear, which involved drilling two holes on opposite sides, tapping said holes, and threading in two bolts. You can try that method. I, personally, would do as follows:

1. Buy a can of good penetrating oil. Don't buy the cheap stuff. PB blaster, something like that. Spray it down. Let it sit overnight.
    2. Buy a handheld propane torch.
    3. Heat up the sprocket slowly and evenly.
    4. Use a prybar or long screwdriver to try and slowly work off the sprocket while hot.

Obviously, this method involves you getting a new sprocket to replace the one heated and possibly malformed. But, it should come off. When it is off, get some sandpaper or emory cloth and make sure to thoroughly clean the mating surface before installing the new sprocket. I would also replace the front main seal after doing this.
    1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Originally posted by albionwanderer86 View Post
    seems to be a common problem on VGs… I, personally, would do as follows:

1. Buy a can of good penetrating oil. Don't buy the cheap stuff. PB blaster, something like that. Spray it down. Let it sit overnight.
    2. Buy a handheld propane torch.
    3. Heat up the sprocket slowly and evenly.
    4. Use a prybar or long screwdriver to try and slowly work off the sprocket while hot.
    I did try to leave PB blaster on overnight, and then I attempted to use a heat gun. I never tried using a torch because I didn't want to mistakenly light something on fire, and I don't have a torch lmao. I do have a drill, and I will be tapping and screwing into with a crowfoot puller sometime this week. Thank you for your advice. I am sure a torch would work, but I just don't own one.

You can get a cheap handheld propane torch for around $20 with a tank of propane at most hardware stores. I'd spent $20 to avoid having to drill and tap to use a puller any day! I used a torch on the seized VG30ET in my parts car, and with a little bit of prybar behind it, it slid right off, even after having been exposed to the elements for 10+ years.
    1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Originally posted by albionwanderer86 View Post
    seems to be a common problem on VGs… though all the ones I have touched have just slid off, albeit with a little prying. I remember reading a write-up a few years back about having to use a puller to remove said sprocket / gear, which involved drilling two holes on opposite sides, tapping said holes, and threading in two bolts. You can try that method. I, personally, would do as follows:
    s.
    Do this, and it WILL come off. And when doing a timing belt, that gear should be replaced anyways. Nissan part number 13021-V5001