Electrical motor noise with headlights

• Electrical motor noise with headlights

hi guys, this is pretty frustrating - my car was running fine before this. Today i decided to fix my mp3 player, so i took the headdeck out and re-soldered my faulty joints. No new wires, just the same ones. Then I attempted to replace my brakepads, with no luck. Then I refilled my oil, radiator water, and coolant water. This is all for a holiday with my girlfriend in two days.

So i turn on the ignition. Funny, cd players working, but cigarette lighter lights dont. I check the fuse, it's blown. Turn the ignition on, this time cigarette lighter lights work, cd player doesn't. Now i've got this weird wire in my fuse box. It runs from my steering collum down into my fuse box, and it's connected to the headlight fuse. When I jiggled it, my cd player came back on. HOrray. Now i have everything working, so I start the car. Still fine, no dramas.

Then, being close to dark I flip the lids up (headlights on) and suddenly there's this awful electrical screach. It starts high pitched, and over 15-20 seconds lowers its tone until it dies. I kill the engine, and check my headlights with no ignition. They flip up fine, nothings caught in them. Then try with ignition on (not engine) and suddendly there's that noise again. Once it calms down, every five seconds it jumps my voltmeter up a few volts for 4 seconds, then returns it to the normal level. This is accompanied my a high pitched wine.

So my problem is, what might have caused this, and what might it be? It sounds like it's coming from the alternator, or radiator.. pretty much the middle near the airbox. It's very electrical.. sounds like something not functioning properly.. like it's stuck or jammed. The car runs fine without the headlamps on. Once they are on, it kills the stereo, high beams, and headlights intermittantly. I'm worried, I'm supposed to take my gf away in two days, please help, anyone think this sounds familiar?

lol
    Damn dude… Seems like your making more new threads about your car problems than I did in the past haha

No but seriously, you need more information for us to help you, it could be anything.

Alternator belt tension maybe?
    Maybe Belt is worn out?
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 … Parted out :-(
    … New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

I'm not sure of much. I replaced my altnerator (with a brand new one) only a year and a half ago. Before i played with my car yesterday, it was running completely fine.

The car runs fine as long as I don't turn my headlamps (up) not neccessarily on. So, when the car's in idle (no ignition) i can flip the lids fine. As soon as it's in ignition, it makes this awful motor dying noise that continues to last for 20 sec. until it shuts off, then from there it comes on every 5 secs for just a second.

I can tell it's not a headlight motor. It's coming from around the alternator area. And it all started after I rewired my Cd player, and played in my fuse box.

I can't think of anything else to tell you guys, all those little things I did yesterday, have somehow led to this problem, but i don't know which one.

Heres what to do…
    Have someone either under the hood or inside the car while the other person goes to find out what the problem is coming from…
    if you can post a video it would be greatly beneficial as well…
    Sounds like it could be a number of things!!
    Let us know man
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 … Parted out :-(
    … New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

where is the headlight washer pump located at? just a thought
    Originally posted by TearingRaven
    Honestly, if you have to ask this question and common sense does not kick in immediately, you need to be riding the bus. Preferably while wearing a helmet.