manifold studs.

the studs crack because they used a poor choice of metal from the factory. they did not account for how long the engines would last (amount of heat cycles) when determining the required fatigue strength of the bolts. they have since corrected this error with the new studs.

one could argue that v8's only use 4 bolts per bank for header studs in some cases, however since the manifolds are split flanges i would advise against leaving it.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

what about the cast iron manifolds, do they just crack all the time?

at the junkyard mostly all of them were cracked. so thats cause of the item and not the way its mounted?
    My Build Thread

cast manifolds crack, find one that isn't and run it till it does.

or if you really want to get down and dirty, make one for yourself then wait till that one cracks.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

I ordered studs for an ls1. cost 12 bucks.

DeleriousZ wrote: cast manifolds crack, find one that isn't and run it till it does.

or if you really want to get down and dirty, make one for yourself then wait till that one cracks.
    wish i could just pay someone to make some, however when i go for smog inspection, they will see it and not pass visual.
    My Build Thread

300cars wrote: I ordered studs for an ls1. cost 12 bucks.
    i imagine the stock ones would be pretty damn cheap.

1990 jetta vr6'd

[quote]DeleriousZ wrote:
    Originally posted by 300cars
    I ordered studs for an ls1. cost 12 bucks.
    i imagine the stock ones would be pretty damn cheap.
    $2.90 a piece for the Z31 studs.
    Selling left over z31 parts from an 85.

RocknTommy wrote: $2.90 a piece for the Z31 studs.
    damn.. they want $3.97 at my local dealer
    SS #341
    "This car can be vicious, but in an unusual way, like a shark in a funny hat."
    -Jeremy Clarkson

i think mine was even more.
    My Build Thread

BULLSHIT

I was putting everything back on, and guess wut, snapped another stud. i didnt even reach 14 ft lbs. SON OF A BITCH. Its the one right behind the AC compressor.

So I am forced to remove the cylinder head. I read the book at of course it says set to TDC and remove the timming belt and the distribitor (as well as the other crap). But can i just remove the stuff then get to the timming cover and not even mess with the harmonic balancer? Just release the tension of the timming belt and then slide off the belt off the cam?

also (ill call the shop tomorrow and ask) can i just take out the cylinder head and just leave all the valves and lifters in there if they are just going to tap out a few studs?
    My Build Thread

300cars wrote: I ordered studs for an ls1. cost 12 bucks.
    Damn I just paid $4 a stud for Nissan ones.
    "produce first.talk second."

862sik wrote: BULLSHIT
    I was putting everything back on, and guess wut, snapped another stud.
    Was that a new one?

You can leave everything on the head if you are just going to have the studs removed from a shop.
    Selling left over z31 parts from an 85.

it was a older one. lol

Let me first say GET THE DARN AUTOPUNCH. I had it but didnt use it till today and its great!!! just make sure its very near center, its the only way these easy outs work.
    today my friend came by and said "cant mess it up more, lets tap it out". so im like ok. removed the AC compressor assym and bracket. took a few hours but it came out.
    i had a few differnt kinds of easy outs, when one failed i used the other lol.

TIME AND PATIENCE.

so the manifold is back on torqued to 13ft lbs. hopefully tomorrow i can start putting back together the rest.
    My Build Thread

are you unable to read or are you just slow? or did you completely miss my

DO NOT RE-USE OLD STUDS

in your other thread?

i guess you just haaaaad to figure it out the hard way :P i bet you won't do that again.

1990 jetta vr6'd

hahah yea u got me. i couldnt remove the old ones though…guess i should of tried harder.
    My Build Thread