MAF hot-start question

• MAF hot-start question

So my car is sometimes tough to start when it's really hot out and it's been running lately. It starts and stumbles a bit and once i get it to rev up, it's fine. One day it would fire, run for 1 second, bog and die. Refused to be revved.

Today it pulled that shit. In the Fry's parking lot when it's like 110*F out. Bastard. And my phone didn't work (thanks altell). So i got to messing with it. Last time it did this start/die start/die crap it was the MAF. So i swapped it with my parts car's.

So since i was stuck, i unhooked the MAF, started the car. Idled fine (wouldn't rev of course). So i plugged the MAF back in and it started and ran fine.

WTF is up with this? Did it need resetting or something? Why the apparent sensitivity to heat? Is it possible it's just contaminated with oil off my K&N? That filter has been on there for a long time, but i did hit it with a little spritz of oil last month.
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Az4u2c wrote: So my car is sometimes tough to start when it's really hot out and it's been running lately. It starts and stumbles a bit and once i get it to rev up, it's fine. One day it would fire, run for 1 second, bog and die. Refused to be revved.

Today it pulled that shit. In the Fry's parking lot when it's like 110*F out. Bastard. And my phone didn't work (thanks altell). So i got to messing with it. Last time it did this start/die start/die crap it was the MAF. So i swapped it with my parts car's.

So since i was stuck, i unhooked the MAF, started the car. Idled fine (wouldn't rev of course). So i plugged the MAF back in and it started and ran fine.

WTF is up with this? Did it need resetting or something? Why the apparent sensitivity to heat? Is it possible it's just contaminated with oil off my K&N? That filter has been on there for a long time, but i did hit it with a little spritz of oil last month.
    i heard K&N oils can hurt our mafs it can cover the little wires in tons of oil.

he gives me shit all the time about the money i spend on my car but he simply doenst understand what type of "high" you get from watching a stock car transform into something alive with as much emotion and feelings as any human.
    Originally posted by PurePontiacKid
    My god… 10 pages and so far he's only pulled the motor out of the donor car, and bought some valvetrain parts for it? way to be proactive guys.

New 2 Z wrote: i heard K&N oils can hurt our mafs it can cover the little wires in tons of oil.
    Yeah i knew you weren't supposed to really drench those filters. I suppose tonight I should yank that bastard out and see if it's coated.
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

try putting the maf on backwards without a filter and see what it does.

he gives me shit all the time about the money i spend on my car but he simply doenst understand what type of "high" you get from watching a stock car transform into something alive with as much emotion and feelings as any human.
    Originally posted by PurePontiacKid
    My god… 10 pages and so far he's only pulled the motor out of the donor car, and bought some valvetrain parts for it? way to be proactive guys.