Can't figure out what sensor is on manual tranny

• Can't figure out what sensor is on manual tranny

I recently noticed that I had four broken wires by my starter. They go to the two sensors on my 84 turbo manual tranny. The passenger side one is near the front. I believe it is the reverse light sensor (my reverse lights work), the driver side one middle of the tranny back I'm uncertain of. The sensors are simple two wire connections. What is the rear one? I can't even find it in a haynes manual, except for the picture of the wires on the turbo tranny overview page (pg. 10) but no writing.

Re: Can't figure out what sensor is on manual tranny

Already downloaded it, already read it; no mention of it. Only the reverse lamp switch for the front one; nothing for the other.

perna00 wrote: Already downloaded it, already read it; no mention of it. Only the reverse lamp switch for the front one; nothing for the other.
    neutral safety. i believe it disengages cruise when you clutch in

AZ - Sorry, I didn't see it in the book. I actually looked through the tranny, electrical, and mechanical. I looked again at the page mentioned and found it.

I thought it might have been a neutral switch; but the car still starts if you have it in any gear so I rulled that thought out. So otherwise; I got extremely dirty taking out the switch and cleaning 1/2" of 25 yr. old grime off of the top of the tranny for rewiring a switch that serves no purpose. . . nice

that's the odd part, I had my fiance move the shifter though the gears and use the clutch without any change of continuity though the switch.

The rear case half of the 71c I put in my car recently did not have the neutral safety switch. It came out of an 85 IIRC. I think when the 71c was given a minor retrofit in 86 I think it was, they may have added the neutral safety switch for the other Nissan's (240 and such) using the transmission.

I got a CEL and code for it for a while but the CEL went away shortly after some distance I assume. Don't know about the code haven't checked since.

I haven't run into a problem yet because of it soooo I think it is a bogus sensor for our cars. :-D
    88 N/A 300zx (Slow....)

sporklift wrote: The rear case half of the 71c I put in my car recently did not have the neutral safety switch. It came out of an 85 IIRC. I think when the 71c was given a minor retrofit in 86 I think it was, they may have added the neutral safety switch for the other Nissan's (240 and such) using the transmission.

I got a CEL and code for it for a while but the CEL went away shortly after some distance I assume. Don't know about the code haven't checked since.

I haven't run into a problem yet because of it soooo I think it is a bogus sensor for our cars. :-D
    Z31s with check engine lights are merely California models, and the check engine light handles only emissions related devices. ENGINE SENSORS.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

That's why I have never seen any CEL anything in my Haynes. Still though, it turned on and I didn't get any other codes than NSS. My Z breaths clean as well. Odd.
    88 N/A 300zx (Slow....)