What are my options

• What are my options

So I am the proud new owner of a beautiful 50th ae and I want to (for now) make the car as close to factory as possible meaning no mods just repair and fixing things. With that said one of the biggest things I want to work as it should from the factory is the adjustable suspension. At this point the shocks/struts are pretty weak and on the verge of being blown.

What are my options for replacements while still retaining the factory adjustment from in the cabin of the car

I would be ok with a non oe spec strut if I can replace it with a aftermarket one that is adjustable and will work with the factory adjusters

Please tell me someone has found a way to keep the adjustable suspension without spending $800 each from Nissan

Your only other option is buying used shocks that still work but good luck with that and their isn't anything aftermarket .
    1999 jeep Cherokee ome lift, JK rubicons on 265/70 general grabbers, rust and some other crap bolted to it wheeler/dailydriver/partshauler/camper
    1987 z31 2+2 5.3 lsx t56 swap in progress and some other things that im to lazy to type in

Please tell me someone has found a way to keep the adjustable suspension without spending $800 each from Nissan
    Um, i hate to be the bearer of bad news but your best bet is to find someone selling a low mileage set of adjustables and hope they're in
    good condition.

From what i can tell from examining my old AE suspension (before i canned it), and reading on the forums:

In the front, he AE outer strut tubes were part of the reservoir and used a sealed gland nut (as opposed to the sealed cartridges that are available from aftermarket manufacturers.) If that leaked out the fluid, you may only need that one seal and top it off with fluid
    (probably submerged to evacuate air bubbles),which leads to the fluid.
    Nissan used some environmentally unfriendly fluid in these adjustable struts and it is NLA and nobody has (as far as i've seen)
    successfully tried matching the fluid with another fluid of the same viscosity.

In the rear, it's a sealed unit.

From what i remember reading, there is an motor driven adjustable valving system inside, with a electric motor internal to the strut.
    (I've got a broken set but haven't done a post-mortem on them yet.)

Infiniti M30's also had an adjustable suspension with a motor driven actuator that was external of the strut, located on top of the strut tower.

There are manually adjustable Tokico Illuminas that you can use without modifying anything, but i guess they're hard to find.

Personally, with my 84TGLL and my AE, I've gone/going with Illuminas and ST springs. This coming from a guy who likes every little damn detail to be original.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Yeah. I was planning to keep my adjustable suspension until I learned it would be next to impossible to get it rebuilt or replaced.
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

It just kills me that I can have everything else on the car work as designed by the factory but to replace the shocks it will cost me about what I paid for the car.
    If I can not get the suspension to work like factory I think I will put coil overs on the car but that is a last ditch effort

DO NOT buy used OEM adjustable suspension and expect them to last very long because they could fail at any time as there are 30 years old. Used sets of working struts/shocks sell for as much as $500 with no guarantee they will last more than 30 days.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

I agree with reddzx, I sold the working set out of my old car only because the car only had 93,000 miles on it and I still told the buyer no warranty or refund. I really didnt want to do it but he was very persistent on buying them. With that said, I am removing my working set out of my 86t, but will not sell them because they have 190,000 on them.
    '85 300zx turbo: exhaust, intercooler, coilovers, etc…SOLD, will be missed
    '86 300zx turbo: starting over
    '97 Dodge 2500: 12v Cummins …selling and will be missed
    '94 Jeep Cherokee: D60 Front 14b rear, both locked and 5.38 gears, 37" mtr's
    2015 Ram 2500 megacab laramie cummins black appearance package

I MAY have a set for sale in the next few months. I bought a set of Stance coils and will be doing the swap sometime in the next few months. For the moment my shocks are in surprisingly good shape (100k miles, 161k KM) After my trans swap however my adjustment knob has stopped working. Probably a connector issue… But they're stuck in firm for now, and it is pretty stiff.
    1986 300ZX factory Turbo 2+2 5 speed swap. 1985 Toyota MR2. Floor boards gone. Good fabrication practice.

I agree with not buying used suspension components unless they were dirt cheap /almost free

I sold the set of working adjustable suspension off of my 85t for $50 last summer. I just wanted it out of my garage.

There is is always the inherent risk of buying used parts in similar condition and only lasting a short time. As Z_Karma stated there is not viable option for new factory adjustment suspension unless your paying big $$$ from Nissan.

Side note, loosing the adjustable portion but Tokico HP shocks matched with Eibach springs makes for a very nice z31. Comfortable yet very responsive. I would recommend that setup to anyone looking for OEM+ replacement/upgrade.
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

Turbo cars, no HP's are available. Illumina's fit, but would take about a month to get. Last I heard, Nissan did not offer replacements, as the fluid used in the dampers for the cool selectable feature was outlawed by the EPA…
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

KYB sells a replacement turbo car front non adjustable strut

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Bilstein, and Tokico Illumina's drop right into Turbo housings.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Axel kain View Post
    Bilstein, Koni, and Tokico Illumina's drop right into Turbo housings.
    Missed one.

I'm quite content with the Koni/ST setup at this point.
    '86 300ZXT GLL
    '78 Datsun 280Z BP
    '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

I will most likely do coilovers because I don't want to go thru the hassle of finding the oem stuff and definitely do not want to pay the price for them