Help: Anyone With Experience Installing KYB Rear Shocks - 1984 Turbo

• Help: Anyone With Experience Installing KYB Rear Shocks - 1984 Turbo

Hello,

I found a few how-to's for installing worn out rear shocks which were helpful, but I'm still having a bit of difficulty.

The replacement also seem to be the same other than the smaller diameter shaft, and I do have the KIT108A adapter kit with the reducing sleeves + new bumpers.

The issue I'm having is it seems the bumper doesn't slide down far enough to give me enough length to get any threads started with the top nut. The instructions show using washers on top as well, which seems like it would make my problem even worse.

IMG_3662.jpgIMG_3661.jpgIMG_3660.jpgIMG_3659.jpg

The rubber bumper included in the KIT108A is extremely dense and doesn't collapse much. I tried to jack up underneath the lower shock mounting point, thinking I could slide the reducing sleeve down from the top, but even still I couldn't get it to stick out far enough to thread.

Apologies if this installation has been beat to death, but I could only find solid info on the Tokico Illumina install.

Thanks for any help,

Grant

I would imagine you can cut the stop to appropriate height. It appears rather tall.

The KYB bumper supplied is the same length as the factory one, but you can original bumper slides down the original shock shaft easily enough.

The new KYB bumper has a smaller inner diameter at the top (maybe 1/2"). The new KYB shock has a lip where the shaft steps up in size. I can't push it passed this lip and up passed the shoulder. It seems like it should sit further down the shaft, but it doesn't appear designed to be able to.

The only thing I could think of trying was heating the bumpers to soften them up a bit, then maybe I can push it passed that lip.

I understand now after looking at the set on my parts car. I would contact KYB and see if there is a reason it isn'assembleding as intended.

I would just run a drill bit through it to enlarge the diameter of the hole.

While you're at it, you might want to ditch the molded Adj suspension upper bushings for
    some non-adj suspension bushings. The kit you have comes with new bushings, but you can't use them :/

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Good eye Z Karma. Was hoping someone else would see the OP and respond.