Is upgrading to 88 turbo front calipers worth it?

• Is upgrading to 88 turbo front calipers worth it?

I'm considering the above upgrade for my 84 turbo.

I will be installing Goodridge SS lines and Carbon Fiber Ceramic pads in the rear soon.

In order to upgrade the front will need 88 Turbo hubs, rotors, calipers and pads which will run between $300 to $400.

Is there a significant difference in stopping power?

I did this recently. I wouldn't say there is a huge difference, but it allowed me to clean up and powdercoat the calipers and add new wheel bearings, rotors, SS lines and pads. I put stock pads on which works but took a long time to bed in. Your proposed pads would surpass mine in stopping power.

The calipers will bolt up without need for the 88 hubs.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

The calipers will bolt up without need for the 88 hubs

So I would just basically need the calipers, pads and rotors???

Where did I come up with hubs???

I did this recently. I wouldn't say there is a huge difference, but it allowed me to clean up and powdercoat the calipers and add new wheel bearings, rotors, SS lines and pads. I put stock pads on which works but took a long time to bed in. Your proposed pads would surpass mine in stopping power.
    I am on the same mission except for the powder coating.

you will want to get the late model turbo hubs, they are easier to work with. The rotor is a hat and slides over the lug bolts
    looks like this http://www.rockauto.com/info/31/BA_0…_Fro__ra_p.jpg

the non turbo style the rotor bolts to the back of the hub, requiring removal when changing the rotor
    looks like this http://www.rockauto.com/info/31/BA_0…_Fro__ra_p.jpg

Don't forget I make a monoblock caliper and 2-piece rotor kit for your hubs… comes with studs, pads, shims etc, all you need is" z32 conversion" lines for it, and about 2 min of grinding on your hubs…

http://responsetype.com/shop/fairlad…ont-brake-kit/

Thanks for the input guys. I'm doing the rears during Thanksgiving weekend.

And will turn my attention to the fronts after.

SOMEBODY did a write-up on how to do Z32 fronts without the 87+T hubs. I'm too drunk and too vacant on the forums to remember who it was, but I'm sure it is easy enough to search. You mill the NA hubs and put the slip-on rotors on, easy cheesy. The 87+T hubs seem to be running $250 or more a set now. My opinion is that the 87+T rotors are not worth the cost to upgrade to… they do not provide a 25% increase in stopping power for 25% of the cost of other "big brake" options. The NA calipers have a better selection of higher-end pads as well, which are more important than the piston count anyway.

Personally, if I could do the upgrade for $150-200, I would. $300-400, no way. But that's just my opinion.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

To swap the rears you'll need the entire 87+ trailing arm assemblies unless you like fabricating…

Thanks

Replaced rear rotors, calipers, pads and brake lines this weekend.

Managed to bed the brakes in right on time for my clutch line to take a dump.

In regards to the front, I had great success upgrading to 60mm z32 calipers. They bolt onto na hubs and rotors, needing 1-2mm spacers (washers) inbetween the calipers and mounting surface in order to center them perfectly. You want the z32 hard lines still on the calipers if you dont have 240sx conversion lines.

Im running stock twin piston calipers on my 86T, with it's stock front hubs and rotors. bolt right up, and sit properly.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

I run Z32 calipers with Z31 brake lines on my 87. I knocked out the things when I pulled both halves to replace all pistons/seals etc. Also going with Z31 twin piston calipers on my 86T with NA hubs and full 89T strut, hubs and calipers on the 88NA2T.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

^ I did the bead knock out on a customers car too!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic