This forum needs to be cleaned up.

• This forum needs to be cleaned up.

when this forum first started every single post was informative. a lot of things have changed.

1. a lot of people with very limited experience come here and make generic and vague posts about either making a 300hp NA, an 800hp turbo, or putting some ridiculous engine in their car. .. incidentally, most of these people tend to be on the budget of a high school student working at mcdonalds. now everyone has to start somewhere, but this is not the place.. i suggest that a simple message be created that moderators can forward to these people after they delete their posts. the message should explain, in the most polite way possible, that their question does not lead to any intelligent discussion, it only leads to a bunch of people explaining that the poster is not capable of such a project and that they will never accomplish it. the message should also point out that the use of the search feature is required, and failure to do so in the future will result in account deletion.

2. a lot of members (including some long term members) here like to post nonsense in response to various topics. for example, someone might post decent information about a project.. then 10 people will reply with "cool!" or "nice work!" this is pointless and again, does not lead to intelligent discussion. i think these posts should be deleted and the posters warned about pointless posts. i dont know why some people feel the need to hear themselves speak.

im just expressing my opinions here, and im sure no significant changes will be made, but if you feel the way i do then please comment.

You live in america, you should be used to "not-so-smart" ppl chiming in when its not "necessary" but how long do you think a forum of any kind will last without some kind of friendship/normal human interaction ? My point is it wouldn't. Some things ppl do, you will just have to "deal with". So in your line of thinking we shouldnt have posts like "yea we all date hot chicks....... z31 guys rule..... TRUE??" or "member "CraZed" is missing, please read" i think those are great and in the case of CraZed kinda needed, dont you ?????

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2528828

For some reason, I don't see that happening.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on…

Chris86NA2T wrote: when this forum first started every single post was informative. a lot of things have changed.

1. a lot of people with very limited experience come here and make generic and vague posts about either making a 300hp NA, an 800hp turbo, or putting some ridiculous engine in their car. .. incidentally, most of these people tend to be on the budget of a high school student working at mcdonalds. now everyone has to start somewhere, but this is not the place.. i suggest that a simple message be created that moderators can forward to these people after they delete their posts. the message should explain, in the most polite way possible, that their question does not lead to any intelligent discussion, it only leads to a bunch of people explaining that the poster is not capable of such a project and that they will never accomplish it. the message should also point out that the use of the search feature is required, and failure to do so in the future will result in account deletion.
    True enough but…but when you say this is not the place to start, I disagree. Where would be better than here? If the newbs are serious and sincere then they'll benefit from the knowledge and experience of the best, if those people choose to offer help. The others will lose interest quickly and disappear. If they're posting in the correct category then anyone with an elitist attitude can simply avoid browsing the posts in that category.
    Chris86NA2T wrote:
    2. a lot of members (including some long term members) here like to post nonsense in response to various topics. for example, someone might post decent information about a project.. then 10 people will reply with "cool!" or "nice work!" this is pointless and again, does not lead to intelligent discussion. i think these posts should be deleted and the posters warned about pointless posts. i dont know why some people feel the need to hear themselves speak.
    Is that really so annoying to you? This is a tech board true enough but we're all people…social animals. If a member I have some bond to posts something cool they've done then I'm going to comment on it and hopefully learn something about it.
    Chris86NA2T wrote:

im just expressing my opinions here, and im sure no significant changes will be made, but if you feel the way i do then please comment.
    If you want a true elite board then you may just have to build one and make membership by invitation only.

baulkin wrote: You live in america, you should be used to "not-so-smart" ppl chiming in when its not "necessary" but how long do you think a forum of any kind will last without some kind of friendship/normal human interaction ? My point is it wouldn't. Some things ppl do, you will just have to "deal with". So in your line of thinking we shouldnt have posts like "yea we all date hot chicks....... z31 guys rule..... TRUE??" or "member "CraZed" is missing, please read" i think those are great and in the case of CraZed kinda needed, dont you ?????
    what are you talking about? who said anything about eleminating "friendship/normal human relationships"? did i suggest that we get rid of the social lounge forum? did you even read my post? how will deleting useless posts affect the social relations?

I tend to agree with the initial post. I rarely post as my car budget limits my ability to get to the point where most of you guys are. This site seems to be narrowed down to the more serious Z31 afficianado. Any chiming in by me would most likely be useless banter as I don't have the experience but this is great for lurking, studying, researching. It keeps the dream alive. Great site.
    1986zxt w/ '86, 56k mile, na engine (turbo bits swapped), K&N intake, 3" CM Performance turbo-back exhaust, Eibachs, KYB shocks, Front Mount Intercooler (2.5" plumbing), Turbosmart MBC/9 lbs, recirculating BOV, ASCO plenum, dual fans, Maxima alt, Champion 3 row Radiator.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO Performance Package

I think you guys are just ranting about VERY typical behavior that goes on in every forum. The only solution to it without getting certain groups upset, is to moderate, and if you can't keep up, get more moderators. Your getting upset that newb talk is interfering with the "adult" conversations. So move the posts.

I'm also going to have to disagree with the "useless" posts. "Way to go!" and "Awesome!", may seem like useless posts to you, but to the original poster, that is a sign of ENCOURAGEMENT from the community. How would you like to make a post about doing something unique and not have anyone post in it. It may come off as "no one cares".

Not everything in this world has to be so serious and tight leashed.

Hey you guys!!!!!................... :nanan?re :foufou :P

BTW, can anyone tell me what turbo I can put in my zee for 1423 horspowa?
    1987 300ZX Turbo - http://z31performance.com/forum/vie … php?t=3114
    2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Evil Z31 wrote: I'm also going to have to disagree with the "useless" posts. "Way to go!" and "Awesome!", may seem like useless posts to you, but to the original poster, that is a sign of ENCOURAGEMENT from the community. How would you like to make a post about doing something unique and not have anyone post in it. It may come off as "no one cares".
    My thoughts exactly. +1

Evil Z31 wrote: I'm also going to have to disagree with the "useless" posts. "Way to go!" and "Awesome!", may seem like useless posts to you, but to the original poster, that is a sign of ENCOURAGEMENT from the community. How would you like to make a post about doing something unique and not have anyone post in it. It may come off as "no one cares".
    thats exactly what i was trying to say.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2528828

Doubtful that that will ever happen. I doubt that pretty much anything you can do will help here without strangling the freedom of the board. There are some times that it is good to be able to post freely.

Suppose that you are in the midst of a project, and you need to know something fast. In my opinion, that would be okay to post up a question that has been answered before, if it is hard to find the answer in a time-effective way through searching.

Are there alternatives? There is stuff someone could do to reduce clutter. Take my previous example, the poster could request PMs and once the answer is given, delete the thread. But the problem with that is that people have to want to do this. And it makes more work for the mods.

And I doubt that there is anything you could do to eliminate it entirely. Because some people do not have the time… or motivation… to search too far.

How about a locked sticky at the top of each section, with like… a table of contents, I guess… of the best thread on each topic. The mods could edit in the URLs and title it, and alphabetize it, so a searcher could go directly to the best, most informative thread in existance. Then if they must post, it would be in the same thread at least. We hope. And at that point, it would be easy to govern what goes on (warn them if the question in the post has already been answered in-thread). But that could mean more work for the mods. Unless somebody volunteers to compile the list and post it up for stickydom?

At the very least, even if no newbies are willing to even look at the thread, it would become the encyclopedia of information for senior members.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

glad to see that there are varied opinions.. for those of you who think that the garbage cant be eliminated, try frequenting hybridz.org. or some of the ecu tuning forums. almost every post is informative.

Zmech, this post is about a forum related issue. it is posted in the "site and forum-related" category. its not like im asking which way a clutch disk goes on, or requesting torque specs to the pressure plate and flywheel in a performance forum titled "driveline"

1986zxt, im the same way as you in some other forums i visit. i search, i read and i study. if i cant find my answer i spend some time and i put together a well thought out post that will lead to an intelligent discussion. this is especially true in the ecu tuning forums on other web sites. i consider myself a novice and i dont attempt to answer questions unless i am sure i have a piece of information worth sharing. i wish more pople felt like you. it would make it much easier on all of us who constantly sift through garbage to find the information we need.

Evil Z31, this type of behavior does not go on on every forum. it occurs in honda forums. my friends honda forum even has a "bullshit" forum where people go to type giberish in order to increase their post count. as far as my complaint regarding useless posts… if i post information on a project i completed or something i am working on, my intention is not to get patted on the back by some internet forum people. my intention is to share the progress i made and look for input from others. basically i am opening a conversation.. now im not suggesting that praise for good work should not be allowed, im suggesting that someone who replies to a post with "wow" or "nice job" is not contributing anything. all it does is make the post longer and difficult to read. many times i find an interesting post that has sparked an interesting conversation between two people. the only problem is, between their replies are countless single work posts. i come here to learn about how to make my car better and to share what ive learned with others.

Being an admin with a forum that has 50k+ members I know the hard work it goes into cleaning up forums etc.. it's no easy task, the next day you have to do it again.

Unfortunately this is the way it works on a forum..

The buy/sell sections are the worst
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i
    1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
    http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Oh crap…I'm dense…the "search factor"…I agree that all the wasted space impacts the search feature. Must be a way to address that.
    BTW Beck, I'm in Houston and I'd be happy to have dinner with y'all sometime 8)

Interesting subject ..

Note the title of the thread .. This forum (z31performance is the name of the forum) ..

While I am not offended .. I am amused that there appears to be a "purist" or "better than others" attitude being promoted that z31performance is strictly or should strictly be for "performance related subjects"

Rather than argue .. I'll support that premise and curtail my participation here at z31performance.com

99% of my threads or posts ARE NOT "performance" related ..

I have already requested (to Jason) that all my "non-performance" threads be deleted. I have started deleting my "non-performance" posts …

FYI .. I am not going away, just taking a background position. I'll only post when I have a performance related input.

As for information that I would normally share (but is of no interest to the "performance purist"), you'll have to frequent the other z31 forums to get that information ..
    :nanan?re

Z31Performance Mission Statement:

Everyone should have input on this statement. Please reply here with additions or suggestions! We want it to encompass all of the ideals the forum is built for. A forum represents a community of people with common interests, and the mission statement should encompass all of the ideals the members believe in.

Working draft:

"The purpose of Z31Performance is to exist as a solitary haven for true Z31 performance enthusiasts
    . This community is dedicated to keeping itself constituted of helpful, friendly, knowledgeable, trustworthy and honest people with both knowledge about and a passion for the Z31 300ZX in all respects. This Z31Performance forum exists as a solitary pillar; it is the gathering place of this community. A humble non-profit administration exists for the express purpose of regulating that gathering place, but not to enforce their individual will upon the community as a whole."

:nanan?re
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!