What's the best way to add HP to a 89Z w/o turbo.suprchrger?

• What's the best way to add HP to a 89Z w/o turbo.suprchrger?

Hello

As you guys know, VG30ET Turbo engines are hard to come by and can be an expensive time consuming process. And even if you happen to find one, most likely it will need a rebuild. So a turbo swap can easily run you about 4K if you have a mechanic do it. For that price I can just sell my 89Z NA and buy a decent 90-96 Z twin turbo for about 10K and save myself the headaches.
    So my question is, what will be the best way to add horse 8) power and torque without going turbo or supercharge. Lets say 2K worth of upgrades not counting the labor.

Thanks

JerZ

Re: What's the best way to add HP to a 89Z w/o turbo.suprchrger?

jerZ wrote: Hello

As you guys know, VG30ET Turbo engines are hard to come by and can be an expensive time consuming process. And even if you happen to find one, most likely it will need a rebuild. So a turbo swap can easily run you about 4K if you have a mechanic do it. For that price I can just sell my 89Z NA and buy a decent 90-96 Z twin turbo for about 10K and save myself the headaches.
    So my question is, what will be the best way to add horse 8) power and torque without going turbo or supercharge. Lets say 2K worth of upgrades not counting the labor.

Thanks

JerZ
    Since I seem to be the first one up this morning…
    Before you get blasted with turbo, turbo, turbo…
    It's not cheap to get power out of a NA VG30 and when you are done you won't have nearly as much power as a turbo charged VG30.
    That being said, if you are like a few of us and just want to have an engine that is plenty powerful enough for the street and autoX then search and you will find it.
    The combiination to get power out the VG30 is more air in and more out out…same as any engine.
    You will need to rework your air filter, plenum and heads. Then cams and redo the bottom end at least freshen it up with new bearings etc. New oil pump, water pump, electric fan.
    So far this is the same stuff you need to do to any turbo engine.
    On the exhaust side, headers new exhaust.
    Nistune to tune the engine, Cam gears.

The 89Z came with about 130 to 135 HP to the wheels. Doing what is listed above you should get to 170 to 190 range.
    The next step would be upping the compression in the engine and doing more drastic head and intake work. Custom headers…now you are in the 225 to 250 range. You are also above your 2K budget.
    The good thing is that most of what you have done can be used to go turbo later on and get more power.

Again search the site. Start with the post in the sticky section three above this one and good luck.

Russ
    …and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Russ,

Thanks for the very informative reply. This sounds more doable.

JerZ[quote]Russ84na wrote:
    Originally posted by jerZ
    Hello

Thanks

JerZ
    Since I seem to be the first one up this morning…
    Before you get blasted with turbo, turbo, turbo…
    It's not cheap to get power out of a NA VG30 and when you are done you won't have nearly as much power as a turbo charged VG30.
    That being said, if you are like a few of us and just want to have an engine that is plenty powerful enough for the street and autoX then search and you will find it.
    The combiination to get power out the VG30 is more air in and more out out…same as any engine.
    You will need to rework your air filter, plenum and heads. Then cams and redo the bottom end at least freshen it up with new bearings etc. New oil pump, water pump, electric fan.
    So far this is the same stuff you need to do to any turbo engine.
    On the exhaust side, headers new exhaust.
    Nistune to tune the engine, Cam gears.

The 89Z came with about 130 to 135 HP to the wheels. Doing what is listed above you should get to 170 to 190 range.
    The next step would be upping the compression in the engine and doing more drastic head and intake work. Custom headers…now you are in the 225 to 250 range. You are also above your 2K budget.
    The good thing is that most of what you have done can be used to go turbo later on and get more power.

Again search the site. Start with the post in the sticky section three above this one and good luck.

Russ

Its not hard or that expensive to turbo your na engine. I did it myself years ago when it was very contaversial that the na engine could handle boost. It is now an accepted fact that na engines can be boosted.

I also did this with no mechanical knowledge as this was the first car I ever worked on. Just used a haynes manual basic tools and instructions off the internet. It was not hard and the whole swap cost me about $800.
    The saing goes you save the best for last which is why the letter Z was chosen as the last letter of the alphabet. It is also why it was chosen to represent the best car of the 80's.

Respect the Z

swap in a V8…

1988 570zx SS Edition

Originally posted by Neil86t
    Just get a slick paint job like mine and its all good. I had a girl that said she wanted to lick my car. She ended up licking my sack…end of story. Bitch ain't gonna lick my car.

125 horsepower for 700 bucks. How you ask?
    The bullshit stops, when the GREEN light drops.

Only babies cry about the bottle.

Its actually pretty cheap to do a turbo conversion on a Z31.
    " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
    LaterZ

Why not just spend ~800 on a turbo swap for your current motor?

Not trying to be that "just go turbo" asshole but it sounds like you want to get some good power out of your na engine with bolt-ons. Gool luck with that. I am willing to bet this car is your daily driver and you probably dont want to have it down for a long time. FYI you can do a turbo conversion in a weekend.
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

im not sure where you live but in ohio this guy is selling everything needed to turbo a NA for $400. Just buy a gasket kit and a good clutch on top of that and your set. http://z31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11686

Then in a weekend you have your car to 200hp. 250 probably if you get a cheap manual boost controller with it. Then save up for a 3" turbo back exhaust and call it a day unless you want to shoot for above 300hp. You don't even need to add an intercooler if you don't want you can go plenty fast non intercooled.
    The saing goes you save the best for last which is why the letter Z was chosen as the last letter of the alphabet. It is also why it was chosen to represent the best car of the 80's.

Respect the Z

ZFast88Z wrote: 125 horsepower for 700 bucks. How you ask?
    You talk about supercharger and turbo, but you never talk about Nos..................I am with this guy here.........Add Nos!!!!!!!!!!
    +++1
    Straights are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.
    Life Starts at 1.3Bar(17Psi).

I don't talk NOS simply because I prefer to allways have my power not only when I got my bottle filled plus turbos are legal to use on the streets. If u only want power to use at the track go ahead and spray. But u can still tubo a na for less than a nos setup if you are smart about getting the parts.

Respect the Z

BlazzinZ88 wrote: I don't talk NOS simply because I prefer to allways have my power not only when I got my bottle filled plus turbos are legal to use on the streets. If u only want power to use at the track go ahead and spray. But u can still tubo a na for less than a nos setup if you are smart about getting the parts.
    And don't forget that boost gets you laid.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Hell yeah the boost makes em loose lol

[quote]michaelp wrote:
    Originally posted by BlazzinZ88
    I don't talk NOS simply because I prefer to allways have my power not only when I got my bottle filled plus turbos are legal to use on the streets. If u only want power to use at the track go ahead and spray. But u can still tubo a na for less than a nos setup if you are smart about getting the parts.
    And don't forget that boost gets you laid.

Respect the Z

I have a 2+2 NA auto.. BLEH. i picked up an 87 NA2T with a 5 speed manual tranny attached to it for 450 bucks. LOL how much faster do you think that will make my car?
    86 NA auto 2+2 with 300k miles, now turbo with 5 speed

low 13s is very easy for a turbo with 3" exhaust, boost controller, and custom intercooler. my turbo swap has my car at 13.01 for a personal best with a 186,000 mile engine cranked to 16psi on all stock components. she smokes like a turbo diesel truck going down the track lol.

Can't wait to get the built engine in her with the new fuel system and the big turbo. Its going to be a monster =)

Respect the Z