What's the best way to add HP to a 89Z w/o turbo.suprchrger?

Re: What's the best way to add HP to a 89Z w/o turbo.suprchrger?

Get some hot cams, get the heads ported, gut the upper intake manifold, port the lower intake manifold to match the heads and UIM, and some custom tuned length headers. And nistune. That's 200hp ish.

Alternatively:

SATAN top mount turbo manifold, $675 for externally wastegated turbo, shipped.
    Nistune, $400?
    450hp worth of T3/T04E $620.
    500cc injectors, say $350.
    SATAN fuel rail, $210 shipped.
    That's $1935, not counting labour, not counting fiddly bits such as oil lines, gaskets, studs and a dump pipe. That'll make your zed plenty fast. Then add an intercooler on top of that. That doesn't require the use of ANY hard to find factory turbo parts. Don't even need the turbo crossmember and engine mount.

Or, instead of nistune, lets say someone sells stock turbo ecu and injectors for $100 the lot (that's what I paid for mine, in AUD), that's $510 that's suddenly fallen off the price, but you're limited to, oh, around 300hp… that's more than you can get from an n/a without going to crazy.

Mitchd03 wrote: Get some hot cams, get the heads ported, gut the upper intake manifold, port the lower intake manifold to match the heads and UIM, and some custom tuned length headers. And nistune. That's 200hp ish.

Alternatively:

Nistune, $400?
    That's $1935, not counting labour, not counting fiddly bits such as oil lines, gaskets, studs and a dump pipe. That'll make your zed plenty fast. Then add an intercooler on top of that. That doesn't require the use of ANY hard to find factory turbo parts. Don't even need the turbo crossmember and engine mount.

Or, instead of nistune, lets say someone sells stock turbo ecu and injectors for $100 the lot (that's what I paid for mine, in AUD), that's $510 that's suddenly fallen off the price, but you're limited to, oh, around 300hp… that's more than you can get from an n/a without going to crazy.
    Who told you 450hp is plenty? :nanan?re
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Better than 150. Three times better, in fact.

Mitchd03 wrote: Get some hot cams, get the heads ported, gut the upper intake manifold, port the lower intake manifold to match the heads and UIM, and some custom tuned length headers. And nistune. That's 200hp ish.

Alternatively:

Nistune, $400?

When your on a budget you can skip alot of that. I got a Satan relocator(300 instead of 675) and a t04b. JWT dirt cheap used with 420cc injectors and cobra MAF. Also other stuff/intercooler. I sourced parts cheap. Some things you dont need such as billet fuel rails and other stuff, unless you got money to throw around.

[quote]NissanXRMA wrote:
    Originally posted by Mitchd03
    Get some hot cams, get the heads ported, gut the upper intake manifold, port the lower intake manifold to match the heads and UIM, and some custom tuned length headers. And nistune. That's 200hp ish.

Alternatively:

Nistune, $400?

When your on a budget you can skip alot of that. I got a Satan relocator(300 instead of 675) and a t04b. JWT dirt cheap used with 420cc injectors and cobra MAF. Also other stuff/intercooler. I sourced parts cheap. Some things you dont need such as billet fuel rails and other stuff, unless you got money to throw around.
    So true! I just sold a set of 460cc rx7 injectors for $50. My cousin ran 13.2 in the 1/4 with stock fuel, stock t3 @ 16 lbs and intercooler with a 30 tranny and open diff. Just set your goals and buy you weapons acordingto it.

NissanXRMA wrote: When your on a budget you can skip alot of that. I got a Satan relocator(300 instead of 675) and a t04b. JWT dirt cheap used with 420cc injectors and cobra MAF. Also other stuff/intercooler. I sourced parts cheap. Some things you dont need such as billet fuel rails and other stuff, unless you got money to throw around.
    I know there are much cheaper ways of doing it, I was merely stating if it was too hard to find second hand parts, on a budget of $2000, you can convert one of these to turbo very easily using brand new parts.

The turbo parts for my car has cost me $300 AUD. I am yet to turbo it because I don't have the facilities at the moment. The only things I might possibly need that I don't have already are oil and water lines for the turbo, gaskets, tools, and a full set of new exhaust manifold studs. The 86 Turbo ECU and Injectors are currently installed on my car cost me $100, and I paid $200 for an entire turbo car that has had an injector fire. All the metal bits required are there, turbo, manifold, crossmember etc. I sold the 5 stud hubs off the turbo parts car and got $150 back, So effectively I've got an entire turbo conversion for $150.