Removing engine bay master cylinder heat shield

• Removing engine bay master cylinder heat shield

I took my master cylinder heat shield off of my 84' t to get to the o2 sensor. I was wondering if it would hurt it leaving it off since a bolt snapped in the hole. Has anyone else removed thiers with success or failure through time? Thanks.

You can leave it off.

I left mine off after installing a new brake master.

I believe it's main function is (for 84-85 turbos) to "force" the air coming in from the scoop towards the turbo, for cooling purposes.

you wont notice any differance with or with-out it.
    Originally posted by inqui-Z-tor
    I spend my time and money to create the Z that I want. Datsun/Nissan did a wonderful job back in '84 .. I'm just tweaking it "for me"..

Different heat shield on the 84-85 turbos then on the rest of them. I personally think that it's purpose is to reduce long-term heat fatigue to the brake master cylinder. Probably won't hurt to leave it off though.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Thanks for the info. Looks like another piece lost in the "weight reduction" campaign, lol.

Nissan loves to spend money filling your car with useless parts. That's how they make money!

Seriously, it's there for a reason for it being there. Unless you NEED to eliminate it, leave it the hell alone.

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

Relax. It's just a piece of steel. It's okay to remove it.

NissanXRMA wrote: Relax. It's just a piece of steel. It's okay to remove it.
    This attitude keeps the newbie forum full of fresh topics

Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

[quote]TearingRaven wrote:
    Originally posted by NissanXRMA
    Relax. It's just a piece of steel. It's okay to remove it.
    This attitude keeps the newbie forum full of fresh topics
    Well if you have removed the shield and damaged the master cylinder, then speak up. If not stop acting like you are.

I had to replace my master cylinder at 93,000 miles and that's with the heat shield in place. Hot exhaust (especially a turbo) beating heat on your master cylinder which has seals in it can only increase wear unnecessarily.

Who do you honestly think is a better engineer? You or Nissan Motor Company?

those are the only two heat shields i decided to keep on my motor, the lower and upper brake heat shields.

that area gets way hot already, no reason to blast heat at it with the turbo sitting right next to it.

TearingRaven wrote: I had to replace my master cylinder at 93,000 miles and that's with the heat shield in place. Hot exhaust (especially a turbo) beating heat on your master cylinder which has seals in it can only increase wear unnecessarily.

Good for you replacing your master cylinder, though it is irrelevant to the question asked.

Never said i was a better engineer than nissan. Just saying that if you take it off, your master cylinder most likely isn't going to melt when you turn the key if you took off the shield.

[quote]NissanXRMA wrote:
    Originally posted by TearingRaven
    I had to replace my master cylinder at 93,000 miles and that's with the heat shield in place. Hot exhaust (especially a turbo) beating heat on your master cylinder which has seals in it can only increase wear unnecessarily.

Good for you replacing your master cylinder, though it is irrelevant to the question asked.

Never said i was a better engineer than nissan. Just saying that if you take it off, your master cylinder most likely isn't going to melt when you turn the key if you took off the shield.
    I believe he was referring to his lasting 93k miles with the heat shield in place. As far as I know the master cylinder in my car is original as well and the car has 101k miles. All with the heat shield in place.

I chose to keep all my heat shields in place on my 85 mostly because I think it helps force some air down towards the turbo and keeps heat away from my brake and clutch master cylinder. Also wiring in that area has been known to melt or deteriorate with excessive heat.
    '85 300zx turbo: exhaust, intercooler, coilovers, etc…SOLD, will be missed
    '86 300zx turbo: starting over
    '97 Dodge 2500: 12v Cummins …selling and will be missed
    '94 Jeep Cherokee: D60 Front 14b rear, both locked and 5.38 gears, 37" mtr's
    2015 Ram 2500 megacab laramie cummins black appearance package

Took mine off years ago, had to replace the m/c two years ago, not sure if it had any thing to do with it though. Replaced at like 175k. It definetly helps guide air from the scoop down to the turbo on 84-85's.

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

floridaZ wrote: Different heat shield on the 84-85 turbos then on the rest of them.
    ^^