Removing engine bay master cylinder heat shield

khyronzx wrote: It definetly helps guide air from the scoop down to the turbo on 84-85's.
    No, it doesn't. Not by design. It's for heat only.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Sure looks like it does to me and others agree. You didn't engineer and/or design it and I don't think you've done any wind tunnel testing on it either. Nor have you quoted or shown any evidence to support your opinion but you stated it such as being factual. Not trying to start anything.

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

[quote]NissanXRMA wrote:
    Originally posted by TearingRaven
    I had to replace my master cylinder at 93,000 miles and that's with the heat shield in place. Hot exhaust (especially a turbo) beating heat on your master cylinder which has seals in it can only increase wear unnecessarily.

Who do you honestly think is a better engineer? You or Nissan Motor Company?
    Good for you replacing your master cylinder, though it is irrelevant to the question asked.
    Reading comprehension FAIL

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

[quote]TearingRaven wrote: [quote=NissanXRMA]
    I had to replace my master cylinder at 93,000 miles and that's with the heat shield in place. Hot exhaust (especially a turbo) beating heat on your master cylinder which has seals in it can only increase wear unnecessarily.

Who do you honestly think is a better engineer? You or Nissan Motor Company?
    Good for you replacing your master cylinder, though it is irrelevant to the question asked.
    Reading comprehension FAIL
    It was irrelevant because your heatsheild was STILL IN PLACE. It could have failed for many reasons. Most likely because of age.

khyronzx wrote: Sure looks like it does to me and others agree. You didn't engineer and/or design it and I don't think you've done any wind tunnel testing on it either. Nor have you quoted or shown any evidence to support your opinion but you stated it such as being factual. Not trying to start anything.
    I guess then, by popular opinion--since it looks like it does, then it does.

This directs air:

This shields the master cylinder from heat:
    [attachment=0:1fyrpyjp]rsz_img_0030.jpg[/attachment:1fyrpyjp]
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

It sits directly at the back of the hole in the hood for the scoop. Haven't looked at it in a while but that looks different iirc. I'm going to dig it out of storage when I go to get parts out after work.

khyronzx wrote: It sits directly at the back of the hole in the hood for the scoop. Haven't looked at it in a while but that looks different iirc. I'm going to dig it out of storage when I go to get parts out after work.
    The point I tried to make is that it's not sealing anything. Saying it "directs air to the turbo" is like saying that your hand "directs water to your mouth" when your fingers are spread apart.
    BLOZ UP.com

Got ya, but you can't deny removing it will affect where the air entering the engine compartment from the scoop opening goes.

I take it nobody has any melted plastic reservoir tanks or melted wires because of removing it then? Looks like it is alright to leave off then. Thanks.

perna00 wrote: I take it nobody has any melted plastic reservoir tanks or melted wires because of removing it then? Looks like it is alright to leave off then. Thanks.
    Mines off since I did the turbo swap, I plan to put it back on this weekend though.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Took mine off. The downpipe off the top mount turbo is wrapped and doesn't get too hot.