2 lift possible?

Re: 2" lift possible?

would be easy to use spacer's between the subframe's and the body and find a car in the junkyard with a longer strut. Common sense would tell you to buy something cheap and easy to offroad like a volkswagen tho.

To the people saying that an AE or SS z31 is too nice to tear up, you could always buy them when they come up for sale at full asking prices.... But you wont… because z31 owners are cheap asses.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

aceman wrote: would be easy to use spacer's between the subframe's and the body and find a car in the junkyard with a longer strut. Common sense would tell you to buy something cheap and easy to offroad like a volkswagen tho.

To the people saying that an AE or SS z31 is too nice to tear up, you could always buy them when they come up for sale at full asking prices.... But you wont… because z31 owners are cheap asses.
    Putting spacers between the subframes isn't going to make the car sit any higher, all it is going to do is change the angle of the control arms at stock ride height. The frame of the car is still the body, and the springs go from the control arms to the body. The only reason body lifts works on trucks using spacers between the FRAME and the body is that the springs go from the control arm to the frame, then the body sits on the frame.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Dave@SBC wrote: Post pics when lifted with new tires. It's definitely possible, I would add some sheet metal to the underside to keep your oil pan, diff and trans in tact.
    +1

Skid plates would be sweet. The aluminum sheet metal splash trays that Zspeedperformance offered for a while would be perfect for the front. Diff guard wouldn't be too hard to fab either. A 2" lift with some rally armour flaps and gravel tires would make that thing a beast. Certainly something different from most Z31s you see.
    '86 300ZXT GLL
    '78 Datsun 280Z BP
    '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

If I were to put 2" spacer blocks between the subframes and lift it at the springs also, would this relax the angle of the CV-shafts in the rear or would it make it worse? Sorry for the dumb question, I am just having a hard time picturing this one. Thanks again for all the replies.

Then you would need to get a slightly longer driveshaft. Plausible

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

^Yes and lower the trans mount for correct driveline angle.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

[quote]michaelp wrote:
    Originally posted by aceman
    would be easy to use spacer's between the subframe's and the body and find a car in the junkyard with a longer strut. Common sense would tell you to buy something cheap and easy to offroad like a volkswagen tho.

Putting spacers between the subframes isn't going to make the car sit any higher, all it is going to do is change the angle of the control arms at stock ride height. The frame of the car is still the body, and the springs go from the control arms to the body. The only reason body lifts works on trucks using spacers between the FRAME and the body is that the springs go from the control arm to the frame, then the body sits on the frame.
    no shit, you need springs and struts like i said.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

By lowering the transmission would this bring the drive line back into spec enough to be able to run the stock drive shaft or would i need to add an inch to it? I am assuming the front end would need to be all realigned in order to prevent bump steer also. And the idea of the rally amour flaps and skid plates is great!!. I can not wait to get home and work on this thing, until then I'm stuck here in the desert planning it all out. Thanks again for all the great advice.

you can install stance coilovers =) - front rear, and increase clearance - 0.5 or 0.75 inch, but, you'll make your CV-axles work improperly.
    Z already has 150??, you have 2+0, which have bigger ramp angle comparing to 2+2 seater.
    If you'll drive accuratelly - with low speed, sometimes even "sitting on clutch" - mean driving with clutch partially pressed, you will never harm anything, but if you'll drive like prohibition time smuggler - even lift in 5" won't rescue bottom of you Z.
    Z31 JDM my way_google translated

Hell stick a ford 8.8 in the rear and run lifted coils from a truck. bam
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Neil86t wrote: Hell stick a ford 8.8 in the rear and run lifted coils from a truck. bam
    "plus billion" - monster truck Z=)

midian wrote: you can install stance coilovers =) - front rear, and increase clearance - 0.5 or 0.75 inch, but, you'll make your CV-axles work improperly.
    Z already has 150??, you have 2+0, which have bigger ramp angle comparing to 2+2 seater.
    If you'll drive accuratelly - with low speed, sometimes even "sitting on clutch" - mean driving with clutch partially pressed, you will never harm anything, but if you'll drive like prohibition time smuggler - even lift in 5" won't rescue bottom of you Z.
    Translated:
    In soviet russia, prohibition still fails.

aceman wrote:
    Translated:
    In soviet russia, prohibition still fails.
    all areas,except Belorusia,and some Muslim ex.SU countries.
    and this is sad=(
    those who drink,never owns Zs,Rs, etc.,any vehicle which cost exceed $10k,and which expensive to keep, I hasn't such friends yet

p.s. actually I marked prohibition, cause remembered Top Gear USA, episode with z31 then they tested cars you can buy for $1k.

I replied once but my computer locked up so I hope this does not double post. I think I will go with the spacers in between the subframes and use some Grand Cherokee poly 2" spacers for the springs. I want to go for the Hella-Un-Flush look and have just enough power to surprise a few teenagers in there frame scraping civics. I have some stock DSM injectors and I think a starion intercooler from my GVR4 days. I hope to put an HX35 on it eventually also. Does anyone know off hand of a cheaper longer travel shock that could bolt in? Just so all of you know I will not be posting up any pictures until the May/June time frame because I am stuck in Kuwait currently unless the Army cuts us a break....not likely. Thanks for all the advice, this seems like a great community to be a apart of.

rustytankerbean wrote: Does anyone know off hand of a cheaper longer travel shock that could bolt in? Just so all of you know I will not be posting up any pictures until the May/June time frame because I am stuck in Kuwait currently unless the Army cuts us a break....not likely. Thanks for all the advice, this seems like a great community to be a apart of.
    Huh, now it's became understandable why do you want to lift it
    I don't think anyone of z31P members ran em.
    I know Tein could make any for you, but they are not cheap.
    Or you can make custom spacers for rear strut mounts (actually you'll also need same for front).
    Big travel of rears won't be good, simply because spring may become uncompressed fully and fell away.
    Pay attention for specially equipped trophy cars - they have long (and soft comparing to sporty) springs and shocks with long travel (go to official Tein web-page and look on examples).