Timing Belt Change

The thing that makes the cam seal go out is they get really dry and crusty. All it takes is the little lip to rub the crank the wrong way a couple of times, and they will either start leaking immediately, or they will get beat to shit and try to come out sideways. If you have access to it, try and replace it. I recommend doing the cam seals first because they're up high and you can see how to do it. If you need help removing them and reinstalling them, let me know. I can take pictures of my method for removing them on a spare RB26 head I have in the garage that uses similar seals.

The only thing that you should really get from Nissan is the coolant temperature sensor.

The timing belt and tensioner can be a gates belt, they make a lot of OEM belts.
    The waterpump can be any brand, but I prefer NPW, they make more OEM pumps than most others.
    The cam and crank seals can be NTN or NTK or SKF, which you can get from FelPro. Nissan does not make the waterpumps, timing belts, or seals. They don't make the Coolant Temp sensor either, but I haven't had luck with aftermarket ones except for Beck/Arnley, but they are the same price as OEM.

Alright, so how does this list look? What do I need to add/are there any duplicates that I created just because I don't know the name of the part?

Are there any other parts that I should get as OEM?

Much thanks everyone!

Timing Belt Change Parts OEM?
    Timing Belt
    Water pump
    Water pump gasket
    Thermostat
    Thermostat Gasket
    SS clamps
    Crank seal plate
    Cam seals yes
    New crank gear
    Cylinder head temperature sensor yes
    CHTS Sub-harness yes
    Front Upper Hose
    Rear Upper Hose
    Lower hose
    Coolant Bypass hose
    Thermostat hose
    Hose from water cock to heater core
    Hose from block to water core
    Hose from heater core to block
    Idler/tension bearing
    Tensioner
    Tensioner spring yes
    Tensioner washer
    Tensioner lock washer
    Tensioner stud yes

Nice list Looking good!

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

Does it look like i'm missing anything?

Nothing else comes to mind, you'll have your work cut out for you. I can do these changes in about three hours.

Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

3 hours? y so long?

Because fat haha

3 hours?? I'm thinking 8 for this guy…and that's if i'm lucky..

I do it over the course of 5 hours, and about 1hr of that is cleaning parts, another hour goes to taking breaks, drinking tea while staring at the sky, you know…

Blah blah blah don't worry about how long it takes you unless you happen to work as a flat rate technician. Take your time and do it right. Don't build it up in your mind to be harder than it really is, because it's not. All you need is patience with stuck bolts/parts and attention to detail when putting everything back together. Grease all your seals, scrape any/all old gasket material off and count your timing belt teeth. 40 between the cam sprocket punches and 43 between the driver's side cam punch and the crank punch. Also be sure not to overtighten the timing belt, it will be noisy if you do.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I should be ordering parts in the coming days.

Do you guys have any sort of brand preference? There's so many options.

1.5 to 2 hours if you've done it before. even less maybe.
    4 to 5 hours if you haven't.
    16 hours if you forget to buy parts.
    72 hours if you forget to buy parts on a weekend.

Careless;322703 wrote:
    The cam and crank seals can be NTN or NTK or SKF, which you can get from FelPro. Nissan does not make the waterpumps, timing belts, or seals. They don't make the Coolant Temp sensor either, but I haven't had luck with aftermarket ones except for Beck/Arnley, but they are the same price as OEM.
    SO the seals from Executive nissan, nissanparts.cc, and courtesyparts.com are not OEM seals?

That's not what I said. OEM seals are not made by Nissan. If you buy them from nissan, you'll see that they are simply repackaged NTN, NTK, NOK, or SKF seals. The cam and crank seals are not proprietary sizes, so any third-party parts company has access to the same seals that Nissan repackages. In other words, they are a standard size- not a Nissan specific size. but use what you want. don't let me stop you from spending an extra 4 or 5 bucks to get them from Nissan.