Carbon Canister?

• Carbon Canister?

Will removing the carbon canister make a difference? like better or worse.
    i got mine off and plugged up the vacuum hoses that connected to it and my car seems to be running ok. but im not so sure about gas milage.
    whats your opinion on this?

Keep it. No performance gain, and marginally safer if you leave it.

My is gone though…

vagabond wrote: Keep it. No performance gain, and marginally safer if you leave it.

My is gone though…
    mine is gone too (i certainly knew i wasnt gonna get any hp out of it) but i wanna know if its safe, because i really dont feel like putting it back on. and what do you mean its safer, like emission wise?

make sure you run a vacuum line to a one-way filter, which vents OUTSIDE of the engine bay.

other than that, it's only for emissions.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

DeleriousZ wrote: make sure you run a vacuum line to a one-way filter, which vents OUTSIDE of the engine bay.

other than that, it's only for emissions.
    Smart idea!
    I personally have no idea where my vacuum hose that went to the charcoal canister is?

On the flip side, it is entirely ok to remove it, as all it's for is emissions.
    You may not pass a VISUAL emissions test though.
    I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Remove that sucker!
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 … Parted out :-(
    … New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

there's a metal hardline that runs from the tank, up the passenger's side and along the passenger's side frame rail in the engine bay, which the vacuum hose goes onto then into the charcoal canister.

i havne't looked at the lines on the tank yet, but i would think if you've got the tank dropped you could just make a loop of hose back there with the filter on it, just make sure it's out of the way of rotating assemblies :P

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

its safe to take off, like everyone else said, no gains just frees up room really, ive had mine off for awhile, but i never could figure out what the big hose that was plugged in to the bottom runs too, since it runs into the frame and into the wild blue yonder as they say lol
    85 Z31T: Parting Out
    94 Honda Prelude Si -Stage III
    96 Chevy Camaro Rs-98 Front End Swap
    04 Yamaha R6

Throw it away. Plug and seal any open vacuum lines and don't look back. It was merely designed to help with emissions which likely isn't doing much at all for you now.
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

IIRC plugging the line that comes from the fuel tank is bad news bears… it allows pressure to build up in the gas tank from what i remember.

1990 jetta vr6'd

DeleriousZ wrote: IIRC plugging the line that comes from the fuel tank is bad news bears… it allows pressure to build up in the gas tank from what i remember.
    +1

I removed my canister. You will just need to take a fuel line, connect it to the hardline coming from the tank behind the passenger headlight, and vent it somewhere outside the engine bay. Under the frame and into the wheel well is what I did. Just put a fuel filter somewhere inline on that fuel line to cut down on the fuel odor, and consider it done.

There is already a check valve built into the vent line at the tank, so you don't need to worry about a one-way vent. Do not plug the vent line, as DeleriousZ said you will build up pressure in the tank and that is bad news.
    1985 300ZX N/A -- Schneider Racing Cams + Valve Springs - U/R Underdrive Pulley - Ported/Polished Heads -
    MSA Headers - MGP Intake Manifold - K&N Air Filter - Electric Cooling Fan -

Digging this up. .. any negative effects from hooking the vacuum hose that vents the vapors up to the intake manifold?
    I have mine with the small fuel filter inline on the vac hose And with it venting at the passenger wheel And still getting a strong smell.
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…2-2-(-now-NA2T
    My build thread (:

try without the fuel filter. perhaps its the filter that's saturated with so much vapour that it's condensed and turned it into smelly filter paper now and you're smelling it because it's always there.

if the smell is really that strong, I would guess that your fuel leak is elsewhere.

Slap one of these motorcycle gas cap vents on the line. Mine is currently tucked in the fender

^thanks do you have a name Of it exactly? Or can you link me?
    Id really appreciate it.
    I was planning to just put a Check valve and then attach it to the intake manifold.
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…2-2-(-now-NA2T
    My build thread (: