RSB-07 Cam sensor

what is the issue?

tear down:
    remove cap, and rotor. remove 2 small phillips screws to cover plate, remove cover plate. hold drive gear ( I used a rag and held it by hand) to remove the (Phillips in max, flat blade in Z31) center screw inside the cylinder the rotor attaches to. that will remove the center cylinder. the pickup plate should now be able to be lifted off, as well as the plate below, and wave washer. next remove the small screw underneath that holds the harness to the body of the dist. then just pull directly out on the harness plug where it goes into the dist/CAS. now remove the 3 screws holding the CAS, and remove.

only notable difference is the 2 dowels on the bottom of the RSB-07, just snip them off carefully. then drop it in using Z31 screws, and reverse your removal. as far as I could tell both pickup plates were the exact same. also remember to use the Z31 harness, plugs right in.

… next one I do I'll take pics.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

ok, so then it wasn't just me.

there is the upper collar that the rotor fastens to.
    then there is the small locating washer (with the 2 upward, and 1 downward tabs).
    then there is the small wave washer.
    then there is the degree wheel.
    then there is the lower collar that is the last piece before the sensor itself.

i literally had to fight the lower collar off, breaking a claw from a hammer and a tip off of some pliers.
    it looks as though there was a gouge on the shaft that it was pressed onto.
    you're saying it comes off easy, so it must have been installed incorrectly from the rebuilder i bought it from.

if it was easy to take off, i wouldn't have broke tools doing it. lol

either way, i got the sensor out. hopefully i can put it in the other distributor without breaking shit.

well from what I remember, the Maxima dist.'s lower collar did fight me coming off, just kept prying up on it, and wiggling it back and forth while pulling with pliers. may have been easier in a vice. but for some reason, the Z31's just slid right out!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

I just pulled an rsb-07 out of a quest or pathfinder dist I had leftover, everything came apart very easily

ok cool. i'll change the one on the z31 today. i didn't wanna go through that again. then i'd have no lower collars to put back on. and the maxima one is not centered the same as the z31 is either, sooooo

you guys are lyin to me… LYIN!

I just had RedDemon over my house, and I swear we're not handicapped. We had two distributors on the ground. One that I had to beat to shit to take the stupid collar out of, and the one I took out of my Z31 VG33 because I wanted to put the RSB-07 into that one. The collar DOES NOT come out by hand. It is pressed onto the fricken distributor shaft. It is the last piece before the sensor, and it has a thick metal pad with one hole on the metal pad, and the shaft in the middle. I think the later model distributors (21P01) were pressed on, because there is no way that center collar would stay where it is without something holding it there. It is not D-shaped or keyed.

This thing doesn't come apart "by hand". I think there is a part number difference here.

see this part here, in the center. the shaft is in the middle of it. this one is from an R31 skyline. it has no hole on the thick metal pad to align the upper rotor collar like mine does. is this how the one you guys are changing looks?

if so, that would mean that all later style ones are different.

I find it hard to believe that '95 Distributors come apart the same way as '84 distributors but 88-89 Z31 distributors don't…oh, and the '91 M30 distributor is 21P01…and it comes apart exactly like the 84 Z31 dizzy. I have both, they all come apart the same. You're doing something wrong.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

I don't want to force anything because its my only working diz at this point- but wiggling the collar and pulling and prying on it did nothing. Confirmed by RedDemon when he was here.

1. Remove 2 screws to remove cover.

2. Remove the center screw that holds the rotor drive on.

3. Gently remove the disc from the CAS.

4. At this point, the collar/disc drive is just slid onto the shaft. Just wiggle/pull to remove it. Might be difficult after years of being on there.

(Ignore the clippy, its not from the dizzy)

5. Finally, remove the 3 screws retaining the CAS..
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

image #4

once removing the metal tabbed washer, the collar underneath does not come out.
    i really don't want to go to the garage to remove the diz again and take pictures of the one i had to give a beating to.

you cant really see anything in the pics anyway. yours slides off. both of mine do not.

so I dunno what to do at this point. (and i stripped the screw on the distributor base plate, so i'll have to retap that later).

I'm not sure if I missed it, but did anyone notice a difference? What is the advantage of using this part over factory?
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you…"

-'68 Datsun 1600 Roadster
    Build Thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21…-build-thread/
    -'85 300zx Turbo
    Build Thread:
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…)build-thread!

Tomakze;327795 wrote: I'm not sure if I missed it, but did anyone notice a difference? What is the advantage of using this part over factory?
    Going from a good Z31 CAS to one of these....I noticed nothing. -.-

I'm not too surprised. So I guess the main advantage of this part is being able to find it easily in the junkyard. That's still cool!
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you…"

-'68 Datsun 1600 Roadster
    Build Thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21…-build-thread/
    -'85 300zx Turbo
    Build Thread:
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…)build-thread!

Tomakze;327799 wrote: I'm not too surprised. So I guess the main advantage of this part is being able to find it easily in the junkyard. That's still cool!
    Yeah, I do have 5 Z31 dizzys with CAS' that are showing signs of going bad though…so I'm on the lookout for these to fix those distributors. lol