AE flares on an 86?

• AE flares on an 86?

Has anyone done this before? Im trying to make it work on my 86, but know that it wont be as flushed compared to the real AE's, since their rears are the zenki fenders, not the chuki/kouki fenders. I want to see if anyone has done this before i start drilling holes on my fenders. And, what kind of side skirts used? I still have my stock 86t side skirts, but got some kouki's ones as well. The kouki skirts look like they should mount on more flush, rather than cutting off the AE flares to make them flush with my 86 skirts. If anyone can help me out that'd be coo!

It's been done by several people. You can find picture if you Google

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Originally posted by reddzx
    It's been done by several people. You can find picture if you Google
    Most of those pics r real AE's. And i seen that red kouki with the whole body kit, but not any with just the AE flares. If you can show me one thats a chuki with AE flares that would be much appreciated.

As I have said before, why tack on add on flares when the 86+ already has them. They look aftermarket and look like an afterthought. That is why Nissan built them into the fenders. And all you get is maybe 1 inch more flare. On an 84/85 with 86+ front fenders, they are fine, but you get very little adding them to 86+ Z's and then you get the aftermarket, add on look for little gain.

I would sell them and spend my time and money doing something that looks better, not worse. But that is just my opinion.

http://z31performance.com/showthread…-a-Kouki/page2
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

Cue the third old-timer on the front porch, sipping tea in a rocking chair

As I recall, the flares on the 86 are achieved using a super thick, sculpted layer of body filler. Just add more if you want wider

http://i.imgur.com/gLB3y9q.jpg

It's going to take a fair amount of body work to make them fit and blend into side skirts.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Only way you are going to achieve wider rear fenders on a chucki/kouki are Cross-Factory.

But stock you can fit 12j with 315s. I dont see why you would need to go wider. Zenki's can pull off blister flares because the fenders are straight so they additional radii of the flare is replacing the stock piece.

Blister flares look "short bus" on kouki fenders since they are already blistered --> gives the car unnatural double curve/radii and does not flow with the original lines of the car. But its all the rage with the "cool" kids out there if you need to feel special with them.
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

I understand that my 86 alrdy has flared fenders, but i want to go wider and personally love how the AE flares look. So thanks for all the opinions, but I'd like to actually hear anyone that has actually done this before? My problem is, what side skirts would work? I have a pair of kouki side skirts that I'm thinking would sit a little flush, if i maybe cut off the mounting tabs off my AE flares. I want either 17x12 or possibly 18x12 sitting in the rears, now i think that shit would look fresh. I love ass, who doesnt? Now this is how my car looks as of right now:

If anyone can input anything to actually help out, I'd appreciate it.

I (and others that have already posted here) waste enough time here where i can say that you are in an area where if it has been done, it hasn't been documented.
    If it has, that person isn't active on here or that person did not create a thread documenting the mod. Be the first…
    Otherwise, bolt on blister flares seem the most popular.

If anyone can input anything to actually help out, I'd appreciate it.
    Rotate and crop your images..

I remember a thread from the days of z31.com that showed fitting AE flares on a zenki, where it showed images of where the sheetmetal is trimmed
    around the wheelarch to use the flare mounting points. That's the closest i've seen (remember seeing) of a "how-to".

Racingzx has ae flares on late fenders google image search racingzx z31 and its the first result.

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Z_Karma
    Cue the third old-timer on the front porch, sipping tea in a rocking chair

As I recall, the flares on the 86 are achieved using a super thick, sculpted layer of body filler. Just add more if you want wider

http://i.imgur.com/gLB3y9q.jpg

It's going to take a fair amount of body work to make them fit and blend into side skirts.
    No. Just…no. Having had 86+ 1/4s down to bare metal, there is zero body filler unless your car has been royally f*cked before.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Ive dont it to my 87 before i went with wide quarter panels. Adds about a half an inch to each side.

Someone needs to make easy to replace overfenders like the 240sx's have…