Rearview mirror alternatives?

• Rearview mirror alternatives?

Do we have any options when it comes to swapping in a different rearview mirror into the Z31? There was a guy in japan who posted some photos on FB of his Z31 with a slightly larger rectangle mirror that looked really good.
    1988 300ZX Turbo Shiro Special

Google "Broadway mirror". It clips onto the factory mirror and that's probably what you saw.

2001 Mazda Miata LS
    also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

Hmmm no, it wasn't a Broadway mirror. This mirror was a normal, OEM-style mirror from another Nissan/Infiniti model, iirc. He mentioned which model it was from, but this was so long ago I forgot.

S chassis. Can't remember if s13 or s14
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…2-2-(-now-NA2T
    My build thread (:

I swung by my local junk yard and pulled mirrors from a J30 Maxima, '97 Infiniti J30 (I saw two different styles, could be trim dependent), and an Infinti Q45 (FY33 model). The Maxima rear view mirror looked basically identical to an S13 mirror I found. The Maxima mirror bolts right in to the Z31 location and comes with a plastic cover to make it look clean. However, for the life of me, I could not find a black mirror - just a muted gray color. I looked in at least 10 different J30 Maximas and did not find any black trim, so i think the color options are medium gray and tan/beige.

Here's an interesting thing, both the Infinti J30 and Q45 mirrors will fit in the Z31, but not great. I attempted to bolt both of them up to a junked Z31 I came across. The J30 appears to have at least 2 different styles of rear view mirrors (one with auto dim and the other plain). I do not think either J30 version would work well in the Z31 due to the width of the mounting base and the fact that the plastic cover for the base is not integrated into the base itself, as it is on the Maxima and Q45.

Now the Q45 mirror is an auto-dim version identical to the Infiniti J30, but the mounting base is slightly narrower and the stalk is shorter than the J30 and the base is flush with the stalk. This means if you wanted to mount the Q45 mirror to a Z31, you would likely need to cut a plastic/metal spacer to let the stalk clear the windshield bump in the Z31. Oh, and you would need to wire the mirror if you wanted it to work. I could see this working if someone really wanted a modern-style rear view mirror in their Z31 and was willing to put in some effort to engineer a good solution.

I bought the Maxima/S13 mirror for $5 and it's almost perfect. I even have the rubber stopper that rests on the windshield Will need to be trimmed to fit in the Z31.

You can paint it with vinyl / plastic trim paint
    Shiro #443

The Nissan Cube uses the same mirror base, so maybe you could use the mirror from one of those.

I'm just gonna find an auto-dimming mirror/compass one day and wire it up. Seen it done on vehicles that didn't have it before, and I'd like to keep updating as I go along on my long journey.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    "Aim towards the Enemy." --
    Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher

86 N/A:Rebuilt Autotragic, Cat Delete, PRW-2, Poly Bushings, MSA sway bars, Pioneer HU and Speakers, Sleepy Eyes
    Current 0-60: 10.0 flat =[

The Cube's base does look like the same pattern as OEM, however the plastic trim cover appears to be clipped to the headliner and not integrated into the base like the Maxima/Q45 is. You would need to rig up a cover, or be OK with 3 exposed screws. Might not be that bad.

In case anyone wonders what the J30 Maxima mirror looks like.

Pros: Very stable. Doesn't shake at all at speed like my OEM one did. Integrated cover looks slick.

Cons: The mirror sits closer to the windshield (higher up) and is taller than stock, so the viewing angle needs to be adjusted. You see more of the top of the rear hatch, so it might not work well for super tall people.

There is one rear view mirror still available from Nissan for the Z31; it is part number K6321-16P00. It is gray so you would have to paint it to match whatever color interior you have. I have one as a back-up for my AE.

I love the Maxima(pretty sure that's what I pulled it from) mirror. Grabbed it a few years back in a junkyard. Having it sit higher is actually better for somebody who is tall like me (6'2), as the mirror is no longer stuck in my field of view. The stock mirror hanging down so low actually bothered me a lot.

Dont give up, build your dream Z

went to the yard yesterday looking for one of these mirrors. My OE mirror plastic mount fell apart. None of the cars listed where there, so I ended up with a '90 hardbody mirror. Bolts in and sits up higher than the OE mirror. I like it.
    "produce first.talk second."

Originally posted by 88Turbozx View Post
    I love the Maxima(pretty sure that's what I pulled it from) mirror. Grabbed it a few years back in a junkyard. Having it sit higher is actually better for somebody who is tall like me (6'2), as the mirror is no longer stuck in my field of view. The stock mirror hanging down so low actually bothered me a lot.
    Upon additional use of my maxima mirror, I agree with you that it's better for taller people or those who sit high in their seat. The angle is such that you get a decent rear view with only a slight amount of roofline. once I get my Recaros redone so I don't sag down, it should improve my view.

The z32 mirror is a direct swap

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin