ADVANCED Alternator Questions!!!!!

• ADVANCED Alternator Questions!!!!!

Ok.
    I HATE the way my Quest Alternator mounting brackets and the way it sits is fabbed up on my car.
    It causes the Alternator to sit at a SLIGHT angle and not Linear to the Crank Pulley!
    I have Alternator issues once a fucking month!

I need and HAVE to have over 110amps of Current, no Wimpy Z or Maxima Alternator is going to do the job.
    The Z Alternator fits perfect because, well you guessed it!
    ITs stock!!!

Well I was wondering if it was possible and interchangeable to take a Nissan Quest 110amp alternator, pull the Pulley off, and take off the UPPER alternator case (the halve on the pulley side) and swap that side out with the upper casing from the Z31 alternator!!!
    They should be the same I think because the only thing the upper half does is hold the bearing for the Alternator shaft!!
    So if the bore-diameters were the same you could just swap out the "Guts" of the Quest Alternator in to a Z's case and have a Hybrid with PERFECT stock mounting points!
    Someone please let me know if they have any information or can shed light!

Also…
    maybe I can instead send out a Dead Z Alternator to get rebuilt to my own specifications (150 amps???)

Let me know if anyone can help!
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 … Parted out :-(
    … New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Why are all your questions marked as advanced?
    It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo…

Call an alternator shop.

Domdogg123 wrote: Why are all your questions marked as advanced?

He's afraid of them being moved into the basic/noob questions section.. I'm actually considering this one as a candidate for such a move.. :lol:

I always wonder why the posts contain so much yelling with caps-lock.. I never get that.

AFAIK an alternator shop can re-wind the stock Z alternator for more amperage.

^^^^^Hmmmm that's not what i typed in this post originally, unless i magically inherited moderator powers. Who's editing my posts dag nabbit!

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

z

what year part number etc…

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Domdogg123 wrote: Why are all your questions marked as advanced?
    That.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

There is a link on Jason's page to another site with a mod list for a z that has a 165 amp alt. It also has the company name and I believe the url on there. I talked to them a while back and they already had everything dialed in for the z just needed a core with the pulley to build it. I unfortunately lost their contact info since then but it is there if that helps.
    88 z31 tubo auto25spd, 3"TBE, poly everywhere, profec b s2, 60-1, stupid stereo (not 17 anymore), short throw, DXD s4, crushed fpr, FMIC, engloid upper, HK RS-3's sure I am forgetting things but you get the idea.
    08 dakota 5" 33's "cute mods"
    06 g6 gtp - wifey k&n filter
    2x 84 z31 turbo 5spd - parts
    85 z31 turbo auto - parts

z

zmech wrote: 95-97 maxima. 110 amp.
    Warning: Must modify the lower bracket. I warned you.
    lower bracket as in the tensioner bracket? just want to be clear.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

z

You mind snappin a pic o' your handiwork

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

argh weld, that makes things so much more difficult!!

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

why do welders have to be so damn expensive. having one would make my life so much easier.

Just take a stock alternator that you know fits the car and have it wound where you want. Want to elaborate on why you need more than 110A of continuous current supply?
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147