We have determined that a 350Z clutch works in a Z31 right?

MADMIKE wrote: oh, I thought that there was an advantage to running the 250mm Flywheel.
    More surface area for the clutch to grab…not sure how much of a difference it makes though…
    " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
    LaterZ

[quote]RedBeauty84ZX wrote:
    Originally posted by MADMIKE
    oh, I thought that there was an advantage to running the 250mm Flywheel.
    More surface area for the clutch to grab…not sure how much of a difference it makes though…
    Logically it does help with holding power but, this is just for the z31 pressure plate. The z33 pressure plate can be modded to have better clamping load but only works on the 240mm flywheels.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=RedBeauty84ZX]
    Originally posted by MADMIKE
    oh, I thought that there was an advantage to running the 250mm Flywheel.
    Logically it does help with holding power but, this is just for the z31 pressure plate. The z33 pressure plate can be modded to have better clamping load but only works on the 240mm flywheels.
    but uses a 250mm disc.

DXD4 went in. 350z pressure plate feels excellent.

i feel like this post belongs here:

here is a message I Just sent to dave@SBC now maybe its me.. I've never dealt with this 350z plate before so who knows..

Dave, i recently received a DXD stage 6 clutch for a customers car that he purchased from z31parts.com and it was dropped shipped from you guys to me… its a 350z pressure plate.. and I'm thinking a 350z throwout bearing.. its much larger .. then I realized the raised portion on the (new) bearing and the lack of raised portion on my old bearing.. now that would cause an engagement issue for sure. the old bearing probably wouldn't even release the disc enough.. so was the wrong one sent? or am i doing something wrong? here are some pictures.

Top view: dxd bearing on left
    (you can see the raised portion on the dxd bearing)

Side view: shows height difference. (dxd bearing on left)

Stock bearing:

DXD bearing:

I'm not sure where the issue is. in the mean time i will try to figure it out
    because I'm in the middle of installing the motor. i don't see how to mount this new bearing due to the size difference but i will check it against different year bearings/mounts.

Thank you,
    Mike

any help on the subject would be great. thanks
    Praying....

Mike, I have the dxd stage 6 with the same throw out bearing in my shiro and it disengages just fine so far. I still have to break it in but I am sure it will work just fine.

FYI, You measured the opposite sides of the bearings. The inner race is the same diameter as the OEM one. You are correct that the raised portion is a larger diameter than the OEM one though. But if you look a the pressure plate fingers vs the oem pressure plate fingers the mating surface diameter is also larger to match the throw out bearing.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Racinjitter wrote: Mike, I have the dxd stage 6 with the same throw out bearing in my shiro and it disengages just fine so far. I still have to break it in but I am sure it will work just fine.

FYI, You measured the opposite sides of the bearings. The inner race is the same diameter as the OEM one. You are correct that the raised portion is a larger diameter than the OEM one though. But if you look a the pressure plate fingers vs the oem pressure plate fingers the mating surface diameter is also larger to match the throw out bearing.
    thanks for the reply,

yea i knew the plate fingers were bigger

I must be over Analying the bearing.. but the machined lip is the larger one, if its not the correct side then the bearing is crap. lol

Are you telling me that the dxd bearing on the left is a pic of the back of the bearing?

If so that leaves the smaller inner portion of the bearing to ride on the plate....

Praying....

this guys pictures shows what i was thinking: frt/bck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-OEM- … 1233wt_939
    Praying....

Ha, no I should have quoted the pictures I was looking at.
    This picture you are measuring the ID of the inner race of the bearing, where it gets pressed onto the TOB sleeve.

This picture you are measuring the ID of the outer race of the bearing where it rides against the pressure plate fingers.

But yes, the DXD bearing on the left of your last picture is the back of the bearing that does not ride against the pressure plate fingers, that portion presses onto the TOB sleeve.
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

That guy has it backwards, if he were to press it on that way the bearing wouldn't be used at all, it would be the outer shell trying to turn against itself and the bearing would be satationary.
    His "front" picture is what will be pressed against the TOB sleeve and his "back" pisture is what will ride against the pressure plate fingers.

Ok ill try it that way. still scratching my head as to why the machined lip part of the bearing is what rides on the plate lol

thanks for your help.
    Praying....

Does the dxd clutch have to be installed with the throwout bearing provided by southbend or can a oem bearing be used?

I'm using the FE-X Stage 6 with a 240mm flywheel on the SS.
    I had to adjust the clutch pedal a bit to get it to engage right.
    Feels pretty good. It has a pretty smooth engagement.
    I only have about 10 miles on it though.
    More miles to come soon. Very soon. :nanan?re
    Shiro #443

clostoyo wrote: Does the dxd clutch have to be installed with the throwout bearing provided by southbend or can a oem bearing be used?
    I believe that the DXD throw out bearing is an OEM 350Z bearing. I can ask Dave tomorrow at ZCON.

I bought a stage 3 Puck clutch but the Nissan oem 30a bearing was used