Bad clutch or 30a tranny?

• Bad clutch or 30a tranny?

So I am working on my Shiro.
    The car has 95k miles.

The problem is it grinds while shifting every gear.

What I have done so far....

Bypassed clutch damper with 280zx hose.
    Bled entire clutch system with new fluid.
    Adjust clutch pedal rod.
    The master and slave have no sign of leakage. Both parts seem to be new have the Nissan logo stamp, OEM.
    Drained and refilled the tranny with new fluid.
    Replaced shifter bushing with new OEM.

The reason why I am asking this question is that I am not 100% sure its the tranny's syncros.
    Generally when a tranny starts to grind, its 1 or maybe 2 gears (depending on syncro) that grinds.
    This is EVERY gear.
    Which makes me think that the clutch is old, worn, and not properly disengaging.

I did a little googling and found that it IS possible for a bad clutch to do this.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

I also want to add that the tranny is making a whine that relates to the RPMs. This would tell me worn gearing or something…

could it be a bent fork or something?
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

pressure plate.

I also want to add that the tranny is making a whine that relates to the RPMs. This would tell me worn gearing or something…

one of my 30A's makes a whine noise (it's cool :lol: )
    but if it wasn't making that sound before… time to pull'er oooooot

Careless wrote: one of my 30A's makes a whine noise (it's cool :lol: )
    but if it wasn't making that sound before… time to pull'er oooooot
    Well, I don't know the history of the car. I have only had the Shiro for 3 weeks.
    So all this is new to me.

My friend's 87 turbo with the 30a makes the same whine noise. While its making the noise, he has no problems shifting, and he shifts like a mad man.

wrong throw-out bearing?

G-E wrote: wrong throw-out bearing?
    Doubt it. This car screams out all original. I honestly think it has the original clutch from 88.
    There are no signs of any work other than the NISSAN timing belt replacement sticker.

Possible input shaft bearing whine. My

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

drop the tranny and take a looksee.. seeing makes things clearer

G-E wrote: drop the tranny and take a looksee.. seeing makes things clearer
    Yeah… I know.
    It pretty much comes down to this

NissanEgg wrote:
    and the shifter just plain feels weird and notchy feeling/sounding even with new shifter bushings and parts.
    The 30a in this Shiro feels notchy and weird as well compared to the 30a in my 89.

I am not sure what to think. Maybe its time to look for the 2wd 30a from a pathy or hardbody.

My

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Alright, so I am not too much in the dumps here.

From what everyone is telling me, it sounds like a clutch issue. Which is awesome.

As far as the whine, its not too loud. You can only hear it if going through an under-pass or something.

I am still going to hit the junk yard this weekend and look for a 2wd 30a.
    I see them all the time.

Sounds a lot like an input shaft bearing to me. Cheap part, but you might as well do the clutch while the tranny is out.
    88SS - #300 - http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?18360

Dr. Pepper PhD. wrote: Sounds a lot like an input shaft bearing to me. Cheap part, but you might as well do the clutch while the tranny is out.
    yea the constant whining and extra noise when there's pressure means it's one of the bearings related to the shaft, I figured it might be the throw out because I've seen shops install the wrong one