Bad clutch or 30a tranny?

Mine grinds going into third every 10th time or so. No noise at all, shifts smoother than any other transmission I've ever had.

Mine likes to grind going from 2nd to third during more spirited driving some times, and first to second during slow speed engagement. I do also have the input shaft bearing whine aswell. It's almost time for a rebuild if it gets any worse, at around 172,000 miles on it, but it's doing it's job for now, just depends on how I drive it. ;d For the most part it's pretty solid, and no other noticable noises or anything. New Amsoil fluid in it now.

Dropped it off at AAMCO at lunch for them to look at it. Free of charge.

Will update later.

They called and said its an internal problem. I had to be brief with them on the phone so I will know more about it here after work.

lulz.

aamco soft seal rebuild is 500 bucks.
    aamco full rebuild is 4500 bucks.

they apparently do not have access to parts for these cars, or so they say.
    maybe they think people with older cars are stupid and will pay anything to have them run.

new trans from dealer is like 3250

I got quoted 1095 to have mine rebuilt from one shop, including all new bearings, syncros and seals. Thought that was a pretty decent deal.

Ha my 90a developed a similar issue a week or two ago. Though she is leaking too.
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
    Parting Currently:
    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
    Garage Sale