Na2t new clutch slip…

• Na2t new clutch slip…

I know it would have been a good idea to get my hands on a stronger clutch but I just did not have the cash. But I did have a new na oem replacement exedy that I had bought a few years ago to put in. I just finished the na2t on my 88 at the 55k original mile mark, while I was at it I replaced the front and rear mains, cam seals, new timing and water pump, along with the new clutch. I was hoping it would work out for stock boost with a t3 considering the 84 to 86 used the same clutch, but it slips at less than 1/2 throttle when boost starts kicking in. Usually around two to four pounds… I am being easy on it until broken in, but geez is this normal? I'm really hoping that once I do 500 to 1k miles it will stop but I'm worried. I adjusted the clutch throw to make sure the new slave wasn't partially engaged, the clutch master is not leaking, and the flywheel was fine. Do yall think I have a bad pressures plate, or the clutch just needs time? I'm outta ideas and so is the shop owner/best friend that kindly helped…

Drive it for a while and stay out of boost, DO NOT slip it. Take off from a stop with as little slipping as possible. Report back in ~500-1000 miles, it should be better.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

^ makes me feel a little better… Will do, and im trying to stay around 20lbs of vaccum for mpg… When I replaced the clutch in my supra turbo it never slipped… Is this a common occurance?

You didn't get one of those cheap made in China clutches did you? If so, that clutch is garbage and will fail.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Exedy… Don't know where it's made but I put one in my supra with 15lbs of boost, and a friend has one in his conquest. Neither have/had problems. If any one of my other vehicles goes I still plan on exedy because of the track record Ive seen so far. Has anyone heard of problems with exedy?

Exedy is fine…lol

Had this issue with someones DXD clutch, just drove it and eventually it held.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Oh and don't know if it's relevant but when slipping it doesn't smell at all… Kinda strange when I got my ram new the clutch smelled like shit for weeks… And it was not slipping… So the dealer said?

FYI, Exedy has posted a 'warning' in their boxes to beware of knockoffs. People on Ebay are putting Chinese parts in Exedy boxes and selling them as such. Read the bottom of their site http://www.exedyusa.com/.
    There is a break-in, 300-700 miles on a stock clutch. Break-in is progressive and gets better with time. You also may be overpowering the clutch. You should have bought a stock 240mm turbo clutch kit. Fits the same as the non-turbo kit, but has more clamping force. We don't actually sell the non-turbo kit, every 240mm clutch that goes out our doors is the turbo kit. Even if someone orders the stock replacement. Cost isn't much different and it's a better part.
    Dave
    Z31P sponsor
    800-988-4345 ext: 114
    http://www.DXDRacingclutches.com

90 Z32 Base 5spd, 05 Z33 Touring 6spd.
    SOLD- 84 Z31 NA2T GLL 5spd

Well I got the kit from a forum member a while back… And before my na2t plans… I'm around the 400 mark and I can feel it getting better, for instance I pulled out in front of someone today and they were going waaayyy faster than I thought. Well I got a bit of a wheel and stayed a little past half throttle through 3rd… Seemed less prone to slip…

Well it's been several months since I last posted about this. She's still slipping, I even pulled some timing so there would be less power and it still slips! I'm well over the 1k mark and I'm fed up… I'm not sure what I'm going with in the next round but I have been researching. I think where I went wrong was not having the flywheel resurfaced? I just cleaned it up and degreased it.

Ive been looking into new clutches and I'm thinking ill pick up a 350z kit from exedy. I've seen kits for around 200-250

http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-NSK1000-…z+exedy+clutch

ive also been tempted to pick up an f1 6 puck and give it a try? But that's the cheap bastard route 150+

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Turbo-F1-R…00zx+f1+clutch

then there are a few others such as, 225
    http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/html/300zx.html

just to see, bleed the slave cyl a bit, as in, use one hand, or channel locks to squeeze the slave cly/fork compressed, and open the bleeder a bit. I had to do this to my 85 when I put the new clutch/trans in, as I noticed the pedal didnt feel right, and it was slipping.

but I found this cured my issue…
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Did your pressure plate look like it had a lot of hot spots? Did you check it straight edge for flatness? Might as well resurface it the next time to be safe.

I had to replace the slave when I did all the work, bled it and all but it couldn't hurt to look into more bleeding? Also the PP clutch disk, bearing and slave were new… And no I did not take a straight edge to the fly or PP. probably should have.

even a china knock off clutch would be able to take 1/2 throttle under normal driving conditions.

I mentioned the bleeding, as it didnt feel right - more so as it also didnt operate right. I cant remember if it was slipping, or not easy to shift. but I remember suspecting the slave of "jamming up" is the best way to put it.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic