How many Welded diff's???

• How many Welded diff's???

Just curious (as the subject says) how many people are running welded diffs? I've been running mine for about a year no problems.

Re: How many Welded diff's???

Ran one for about a year. It was street driven, and chattered alll the time. I ended up having it give up on me locally (luckily), and limped it home. Put in a lsd, and went for a cruise, had my buddy who had rode in the car a thousand times, came to a corner and he started clenching the seat like it was going to slide, nice smooth lsd. But now I run a lsd and think how many times before it lets loose....

I have been running a welded diff for 5 years with 400+ WHP :nanan?re
    Black 1986 300zx Turbo coupe (Chuki)
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…86-Turbo-Coupe
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pewter 1986 300zx N/A 2 Turbo 2+2 (Chuki)
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…9;s-1986-300zx

I might weld mine, if I get it running before the s13 subframe swap.

stprasinz wrote: Ran one for about a year. It was street driven, and chattered alll the time. I ended up having it give up on me locally (luckily), and limped it home. Put in a lsd, and went for a cruise, had my buddy who had rode in the car a thousand times, came to a corner and he started clenching the seat like it was going to slide, nice smooth lsd. But now I run a lsd and think how many times before it lets loose....
    The funny thing is my Z doesn't like to slide even with the welded diff, probly something about the tires, the alinement, or I just dont drive fast enough, idk… Wish I could afford a lsd sometime in the near future, I dont really mind it welded that much but parking can be a pain & I know a good lsd would be better all around.

Mine is welded. Cheap, easy, and not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Really glad I didn't drop a huge wad of cash on a "proper" diff.
    Tinker Toy Equipped

DudeZX wrote: Mine is welded. Cheap, easy, and not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Really glad I didn't drop a huge wad of cash on a "proper" diff.
    Yea, i agree with you. The welded diff has worked well for what i wanted it for. but down the road i want a nice lsd to make it that little bit nicer to drive around. But honestly everyone makes welded diffs out to be horrible uncontrollable beasts & that's really not the case. This is the first time i've welded one & its held up without any issues.

You guys might hate me for asking but what is the difference between a welded and non-welded 1?

Well.... a welded diff is welded. And a not welded diff is not.

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

legenddd22 wrote: You guys might hate me for asking but what is the difference between a welded and non-welded 1?
    With a welded diff you take a open diff and weld the 4 spider gears in the carrier bearing together so they don't rotate and it locks both sides together. When you dump the clutch both wheel are throwing smoke instead one, which occasionally happens with open diffs. I've been thinking about doing it to my truck if I don't get a locker first.
    CJ Carney
    The Rides
    '91 Chevy Suburban - Annebelle, '86 Nissan 300ZX GL-L N/A Auto - Alexis
    '84 Nissan 300ZX GL N/A 5spd - Aurora, '74 Datsun 260Z N/A 4spd - Rose

The main goal of the welded diff is to make better sideways.

When you mash the gas exiting a corner with an open diff, usually only the inside wheel spins up and makes a bunch of smoke but you don't slide. With a welded diff both rear wheels are locked together, so for one wheel to lose traction the other wheel has to lose traction. So when you floor it mid corner either you accelerate down the road, or both wheels lose traction and you go sideways.

Mitchd03 wrote: The main goal of the welded diff is to make better sideways.

When you mash the gas exiting a corner with an open diff, usually only the inside wheel spins up and makes a bunch of smoke but you don't slide. With a welded diff both rear wheels are locked together, so for one wheel to lose traction the other wheel has to lose traction. So when you floor it mid corner either you accelerate down the road, or both wheels lose traction and you go sideways.
    Thanks for the explanation.

So what would the advantage of a welded diff be for a street driven car? I can see the advantage for someone who races or tracks their car but wouldnt having both rear wheels locked cause problems on the street? especially in incliment weather?
    Black 1985 na/coupe brought back from the dead.
    2000 frontier for work.
    2004 PT Cruiser for gettin' grocery's.

Fuck a lsd.
    Welded ftw.

sure you waste tires a little faster, but if you drive like an ass, it's inevitable
    if you take your time and don't take turns at 40+mph then you'll be fine and as long as your alignment is okay you won't be scared in the rain

about to get another welded in there since I just blew mine (not from the welds) due to not shimming it correctly

It also allows for more controlled straight line accel when traction is limited… I used to have this problem where one tire would spin in second + alittle fishtail which would cause weight to transfer & the opposite wheel to spin going back & forth. This would get violent @ cause violent regrip situations. I find the welded diff much more controllable in those situations. & you get used to drifting in the rain.... It becomes a fun thing on the side. Just wish i could make my exhaust so i didnt draw so much attention.

Dave-D wrote:
    So what would the advantage of a welded diff be for a street driven car… especially in incliment weather?
    Misbehavior. :twisted: