I am shortening the throw on my shifter…

• I am shortening the throw on my shifter…

So I am going to shorten the throw but i wanted to know whats the better way to go. Should I buy a b & m short shifter for 200 dollars or should i do what the xenonz31 website says? Is what they say kind of like a "getto" way to get a short shifter? Any cons to going that route? (here's the link for anyone who hasn't seen it) http://www.xenonz31.com/shifter.html

Which transmission do you have?

If you have an NA Z http://www.enjukuracing.com/products…89%252d98.html

If you have an 84-86 Turbo Z a Mustang T5 shifter like this should work http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/…-Throw-Shifter

For an 87-89 turbo you can supposedly use a 71c short shifter (the one for NA cars) in it, but you should read up here http://z31performance.com/showthread…r-in-a-FS5R30A
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Don't do a ghetto chopped shifter. They're awful. You lose leverage so high RPM shifts are a pain in the ass. The Xenon method is different and may work though.

If you have a 71C, any cheapo 240sx Ebay shifter will work.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you have a 71C. I remember seeing something about an NA2T on your car.
    5.3 LSx Z31

Yes, I have the 71C because it is NA2T. I was thinking about ISIS but I heard some bad reviews. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Xenon way and I wanted to see how it worked out for them. If they say its not that great I will just get a 240sx short shifter. And no I would never chop it.

get a B&M, you won't regret it

the enjuku Jacattack02 mentioned is an amazingly tight, short throw shifter! well built, and simple. helped put his on, as well as put one on another member's Z!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

There's two kinds of "240sx" shifter, the kind which includes a whole top plate only works on 71c's… the OTHER kind with the two C-brackets attaches to the existing plate of either 71c or 30a

I like the Isis in mine.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

I did the Zenon ghetto way and it works really well. Pretty comparable to KimbroSlices actual short throw shifter (I'm sure he'll agree with that too). Just get a thread tap and tap the shaft, then you can just screw a shift knob on it. Don't use any with set-screws, they eventually get lose and then the knob comes off in traffic (not that I know from experience, lol).

1985 300ZX Turbo GLL ^Click for log^

Originally posted by nater86zx
    No such thing as hoarding Z parts. When it comes to z parts, its not hoarding its preparedness!

turblown;327548 wrote: I did the Zenon ghetto way and it works really well. Pretty comparable to KimbroSlices actual short throw shifter (I'm sure he'll agree with that too). Just get a thread tap and tap the shaft, then you can just screw a shift knob on it. Don't use any with set-screws, they eventually get lose and then the knob comes off in traffic (not that I know from experience, lol).
    Were all your gears smooth? Did you have any problems getting into any gears? How short was the throw? Would you recommend going that route or buying a short shifter? What thread specs were they?

85300zxnissian;327552 wrote: Were all your gears smooth? Did you have any problems getting into any gears? How short was the throw? Would you recommend going that route or buying a short shifter? What thread specs were they?
    The gears are pretty smooth. Easier than they were with the OE length shifter. Though, I've never driven a car with a legit short-throw, so I can't comment on how this holds up to the real thing. My only problem getting into any gears was just getting accustomed to the length change. I have a round 8-Ball shift knob on it right now which was hard to grab while quickly shifting gears, though I'm sure a cylindrical shift knob (like the Nismo ones) would alleviate that problem. Again, never had a legit short throw, so I'm not sure what to tell you on how "short" the throw was. I CAN tell you is it significantly less that the OE length, maybe 5 inches top to bottom from 1-2, 3-4, etc? I would definitely say try this route out before you buy a shifter. It cost me the price of a torch (because I couldn't borrow one) and about 45mins of time. Short, easy mod to do for sure! I haven't threaded mine yet (in the process of replacing the 8-Ball, lol) so I don't know what the tap size it. I'm just going to borrow a tap kit from the parts-house and call it a day. Hope that helps some.

1985 300ZX Turbo GLL ^Click for log^

Originally posted by nater86zx
    No such thing as hoarding Z parts. When it comes to z parts, its not hoarding its preparedness!

From a guy that did the Zenon mod and now has an actual short throw shifter, take everyones advice and just buy a proper short throw shifter. They are designed to change the pivot angle of the shifter whereas the Zenon way is just shortening the height of the stock shifter. While the Zenon method does in fact shorten the throw by a bit, it still requires more effort than an actual short throw shifter.

As long as you have the ability to make it right, I don't see a problem saving a few bucks shortening your stock shifter.

My Saab 900 transmission is pretty similar to a truck when it comes to how much travel you need to do to change gear.

The stock Z31 T5 throw feels just great IMO.

The shortest throw I've had is the stock Miata tranny.

Just do it if you feel like it, I wouldn't see why this isn't a good idea what so ever.

If you had the money, you wouldn't even consider.

''And at the end of the day you have a Mitsubishi. It's like masturbating with your own tears.'' Neit86T

For now since I just went Turbo and want to fund things there first, I am going to go with the Zenon way and do that for a while then get a b&m short shifter. Thanks for the feedback, really helpful.