What is the correct rear oil seal for a T-5 tranny?

• What is the correct rear oil seal for a T-5 tranny?

I bought a JY T5 transmission for my Z a few months ago. I replaced the rear seal when I did the swap because the OEM one was really torn up (couldn't even read the part number). So I got a new one from the local parts store. However, that one quickly began leaking, as did the second replacement. So, I'm assuming that the JY car I was using for parts reference is not the original car the tranny came with, or the parts house is just giving me the wrong part all around (which isn't out of the question). SO, I've looked on Courtesy's part page and there are 4 seals listed for the tail shaft seal ( part number 32136 -

1985 300ZX Turbo GLL ^Click for log^

Originally posted by nater86zx
    No such thing as hoarding Z parts. When it comes to z parts, its not hoarding its preparedness!

You need the one for 84-86 turbo if the trans is a t5.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

shromy;327560 wrote: You need the one for 84-86 turbo if the trans is a t5.
    You need to be careful. As I recall there are 2 different rear seals and availability is not the same for each version.

I had to replace the rear seal on mine not too long ago. Purchased it and found it was the wrong one. Had to special order the other seal.

The best thing is to take the old seal to the parts department so they can get the correct one.

Or you buy both seals, and get the agreement that you can return (and get full refund) of the not used seal.
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

There are 2 listings for 71c, 1 for t5, 1 for 30a. If there are 2 for the t5 then they need to be notified to correct the listing. I can only go by the info given as I'm not about to search the fiche on my phone.
    Hmmm, Whats next?

84ZXT

inqui-Z-tor;327565 wrote: You need to be careful. As I recall there are 2 different rear seals and availability is not the same for each version.

I had to replace the rear seal on mine not too long ago. Purchased it and found it was the wrong one. Had to special order the other seal.

The best thing is to take the old seal to the parts department so they can get the correct one.

Or you buy both seals, and get the agreement that you can return (and get full refund) of the not used seal.I don't have the old seal anymore, the swap was done over the fall. Had I known that the replacement I got was wrong, I would have kept it, sadly, lol. I'll just order both if I can't find out, but I was sure there would be someone else that'd had this problem like me on here, LOL. I'd rather just order one if I can get away with it.

shromy;327570 wrote:
    There are 2 listings for 71c, 1 for t5, 1 for 30a. If there are 2 for the t5 then they need to be notified to correct the listing. I can only go by the info given as I'm not about to search the fiche on my phone.
    How can you tell which ones list for what? I swear the only part number I saw for all of them was 32136, which has 4 derivatives that I couldn't stake down to any specific tranny.

No such thing as hoarding Z parts. When it comes to z parts, its not hoarding its preparedness!

In your link it tells you. Early turbo cars were t5s. Late turbo cars are 30as. All na cars are 71c. If you look at the description on courtesy s site it say 2 are for na, then one for 84-86 turbo(early) and 1 for 87-89 turbo(late).
    Hmmm, Whats next?

84ZXT

shromy;327583 wrote: In your link it tells you. Early turbo cars were t5s. Late turbo cars are 30as. All na cars are 71c. If you look at the description on courtesy s site it say 2 are for na, then one for 84-86 turbo(early) and 1 for 87-89 turbo(late).
    Duh. Of course. It's all right there on Zbums page. I wasn't sure (and didn't think to check) the years that the trannys came in the cars. D'oh! Thank you SO much shromy, you're a life saver dude.

I went to the dealer because no autopart store carried it for the stock T5. Everyone had the standard seal but the T5 had it built into this metal cone that covers the front part of the driveshaft. I ordered multiple ones from the auto stores and no luck. Dealership was the best bet…and it was pricy....Look at my transmission on the page, and look at the end of the housing, that whole copper looking thing came as one piece with the seal.

http://z31performance.com/showthread…pictures/page2

I wish I can remember or find the part number that I took a picture of, but I dont have it. It was above 75$ and I bent over and gave it to them.
    My Build Thread