Megasquirt info

I've been back working on my setup some more… my new turbo / injectors / fuel pump are all in, and the car's running and driveable on the MS with the new setup, but it's pretty piss-poorly tuned under any sort of load.

I redid some of the ignition stuff, check my page for details.
    88ss, MegaSquirted.
    t3/t4 60-1 cold, stage 3 hot, FMIC
    450cc DSM injectors, walbro 255
    http://www.z-toys.com/ Boost gauge and MS info

Thanks for adding info to your site. Please keep updating it as you progress. Im getting an MSI v3 kit and stim kit for xmas from Santa so im sure il be using your and Blowz up experience as i go. Iv read a lot of info, but im sure il still encounter many problems along the way.

Just thought id let you know that people read it
    cheers, Liam

My tune is getting much better… the newer versions of MegaLogViewer have a neat feature which will analyze your VE table and make changes based on the datalog. I did about 5 runs, allowing it to update the table every time, and now it's MUCH more drivable. My ignition table is still way off, so it bucks and backfires out the tailpipe around 3500-5000rpm under 9psi of boost or so. I have to work on getting the ignition maps just so, then fine tune the VE maps, but I think it's very close!
    88ss, MegaSquirted.

cool, i didnt know it could update the VE itself, thats good.
    How long did it take you to get to a daily driveable stage? I plan to splice into my existing harness at the computer, and put two connector plugs so i can plug in the MS and tune, then easily plug back to the stock ECU if i need to drive the car to work and the MS isnt tuned properly.

I hope to have the MS tuned to a state where its fine as a daily driver in a couple of months, by playing with it each weekend and in my spare time using a wideband. Then when i have it running reasonably well, take it to a dyno for fine tuning. Is this realistic?

It's still not quite daily drivable, but it's definitely drivable. I drove it 40 miles yesterday.

It runs fine out of boost, but in boost it's still running goofy.
    88ss, MegaSquirted.

Liam86t wrote: cool, i didnt know it could update the VE itself, thats good.
    How long did it take you to get to a daily driveable stage? I plan to splice into my existing harness at the computer, and put two connector plugs so i can plug in the MS and tune, then easily plug back to the stock ECU if i need to drive the car to work and the MS isnt tuned properly.

I hope to have the MS tuned to a state where its fine as a daily driver in a couple of months, by playing with it each weekend and in my spare time using a wideband. Then when i have it running reasonably well, take it to a dyno for fine tuning. Is this realistic?
    I had mine daily driving in a day. Wasn't tuned, all the tables were rich as hell. I also had a 6psi spring in my wastegate, just to be safe. It drove like a champ, even though I only got like 8 mpg. Not that that had anything to do with my lead foot or anything.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

cool, im wiring my MS up at the moment.

What communication are you guys using? My laptop doesnt have a db9 serial, so at this stage im doing all my testing on my desktop. Im waiting till after the holidays to see if my laptop ive got at work has a db9. Those USB to serial convertors are $70 in the shops here.

Liam86t wrote: cool, im wiring my MS up at the moment.

What communication are you guys using? My laptop doesnt have a db9 serial, so at this stage im doing all my testing on my desktop. Im waiting till after the holidays to see if my laptop ive got at work has a db9. Those USB to serial convertors are $70 in the shops here.
    See if they will ship to you down under:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix … php?id=556

reading the megamanual, it sound as if there are some configuration probs with USB to serial. Are you using one with nistune?

They are selling for AU$3.99 on ebay here, at that price il give it a go.

Hey tmbg,

Were ther any disadvantages to running without the IGBT HCID circuit and using the z31 PT? I really want to keep my tach for now, because my remote start and turbo timer run off it. I will be leaving the stock ecu in until i have a decent tune, and then il switch to driving the coil from MS and then pull a tach signal of the coil for the remote start and maybe find a way to get the factory tach working.

Did you have any issues using the z31 PT?

it ran with the stock transistor. I don't THINK any of my issues were caused by using it, but I'm not sure.

I was driving the coil directly for awhile, now I'm driving an MSD 6A. I was able to get the tach working in all instances, when driving the coil I took the tach signal right off the coil, and now that I'm running the MSD, I have to pull it from the MS spark output (the white wire which drives the MSD box).
    Attached Files
    • CAD.jpg (78.7 KB)
    • 20131111_215551.jpg (91.1 KB)
    • 20140806_151111.jpg (86.0 KB)
    88ss, MegaSquirted.

I just got a Megasquirt II kit (v3.0 board + MS components + MS II daughtercard).

I will be wiring it up to my VG30 in my s30 in a couple weeks.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Here's a diagram of how to connect the MS Relay board (and thus, MS itself) to the stock Nissan CAS (in the dizzy). Ignore the rest of it if you want, it's project specific.
    BLOZ UP.com

I'm not quite sure if I should start a new thread for this, or if I should post it here. I'm thinking since no one else has started a new MS thread I will just post here.

What have you guys done for idle control on the VG30? I have a pathfinder manifold with the stock Nissan AAC and IACV. I want to retain the "timed heater" component, since it's completely independent of the ECU, but I really want to run the IACV through MS2Extra. The FSM makes it sound like a PWC controlled valve, but I am really not sure of what pulse width values to feed it. I guess I could set it until it gets hot and then back it off, but it someone has already been down this road I'd much rather learn from their experience.

Another question: is anyone else running MS2Extra on the V3.0 board? If so, did you have to jumper a +12v feed to JP4? I did this and the MSII started having all sorts of problems. I removed the jumper and it all runs fine, even with MS2Extra code. I'm not sure I understand why this happened, but if I don't find out soon I'm going to the MSefi boards for help.

I am at the wiring harness stage and I am really stressing. I've been way too tempted to go "balls out" on a lot of the silly details and other things, and I already have, like polishing stupid stuff like the fuel rails and the fuel pressure regulator, jumping from a conservative 250 HP goal to prepping for 400+ hp, wanting to ditch the stock ignition (which is a GREAT ignition system) for Ford EDIS just cause I can, spending too much time researching boost control through MegaSquirt, etc. etc… I guess that's what getting bitten by the MegaSquirt bug does to you. It's way too easy to allow yourself to learn in this community. :lol:

Also, I don't think the MSII v3.0 board needs to use the stock power transistor, since the v3.0 board already has one. It's one less piece of stock crap on the intake manifold. Please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong about this, I need to know since I'm about to drive the coil directly.

hoohaa wrote: I'm not quite sure if I should start a new thread for this, or if I should post it here. I'm thinking since no one else has started a new MS thread I will just post here.

What have you guys done for idle control on the VG30? I have a pathfinder manifold with the stock Nissan AAC and IACV. I want to retain the "timed heater" component, since it's completely independent of the ECU, but I really want to run the IACV through MS2Extra. The FSM makes it sound like a PWC controlled valve, but I am really not sure of what pulse width values to feed it. I guess I could set it until it gets hot and then back it off, but it someone has already been down this road I'd much rather learn from their experience.
    I haven't used any idle valvles. I used the throttle stop. Never had any starting problems, ONCE I finished fine tuning the cold start and after-start enrichment values. Try msefi.com, or one of the many other billion MS forums now… I think there's a separate msextra one now. I remember some maxima guys getting theirs to work… somewhere.

Another question: is anyone else running MS2Extra on the V3.0 board? If so, did you have to jumper a +12v feed to JP4? I did this and the MSII started having all sorts of problems. I removed the jumper and it all runs fine, even with MS2Extra code. I'm not sure I understand why this happened, but if I don't find out soon I'm going to the MSefi boards for help.
    I haven't tried the extra code yet. If it works now, though… who cares?

I am at the wiring harness stage and I am really stressing.
    Welcome to the megasquirt community.

I've been way too tempted to go "balls out" on a lot of the silly details and other things, and I already have, like polishing stupid stuff like the fuel rails and the fuel pressure regulator, jumping from a conservative 250 HP goal to prepping for 400+ hp, wanting to ditch the stock ignition (which is a GREAT ignition system) for Ford EDIS just cause I can, spending too much time researching boost control through MegaSquirt, etc. etc… I guess that's what getting bitten by the MegaSquirt bug does to you. It's way too easy to allow yourself to learn in this community. :lol:
    Don't use an EDIS module. The MSII one is perfect. So is the stock Z31 transistor. Don't use an EDIS module.

Also, I don't think the MSII v3.0 board needs to use the stock power transistor, since the v3.0 board already has one. It's one less piece of stock crap on the intake manifold. Please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong about this, I need to know since I'm about to drive the coil directly.

No, you don't need it. Actually, you shouldn't use it if
    you are using MSII's module. Bad things may happen.
    BLOZ UP.com