Geoffs VG34T build thread!!!

• Geoffs VG34T build thread!!!

okay so here it goes. after deciding whether to stay with the vg34t build or switch to the VH45 i have, I am attempting to finalize my project and begin new progress. had t put on hold for about 3 years and also had to move a couple times but hey thats life.
    What i have now is a vg33 bored to vg34 with custom pistons ( not sure what pistons the shop used, or if they are forged))
    i have all 89 z31 accessories(multiribbed) and i actually have the 89 z31 crank pulley bored and re-cut to fit on the vg33 crank snout. I had this setup running, NA for a while, in my old 89 i wrapped around a mesquite tree, then put it in an 84 slick top rust bucket until i parked it due to overheating. 3 years later…

now that i have my new engine built, and a nice clean garage kept 86 with t-tops for the project, and a garage again of my own its time to get the ball rolling again.

i am contemplating whether or not to keep using my machined z31 crank pulley or if it is a good idea since i read from someone that there is not enough MEAT there to use my machined crank pulley and i will eventually end up throwing my crank pulley and ruining my freshly built engine. trying to save a head ache here. instead of trying to pick apart this entire forum again and figure this out on my own i am folding and posting here asking what i should do.

i am interested in an alternator upgrade, maybe the titan 150 amp or the maxima i know is a popular upgrade, just curious, since i may have to go somewhat custom setup or "haggard ass" as some have put it. but me personally i dont think its haggard if you are using all factory nissan parts for your build, true it may be a little frankenissan but its all factory nissan parts, so as long that stays consistent im cool with upgrades and or suggestions.

but here is my main question????, since i am building a VG34T with the turbo being a stock t3 in the stock location, and i dont want to ruin my block with my custom z31 pulley, what are my pulley and alternator options, with the rest of the accessories including AC coming from a 89/multi-ribbed pulley system???. not interested in downgrading to 510s v belt pulley option as i saw that being a thing with the v belt guys.

i do have an extremely rusty dirty vg33 crank pulley i found in my possession. i think it was an Xterra. not 100% sure. i could try and post a pic. not sure if the rust ruined it or if i can get it dipped and sand blasted if its worth cleaning up and using for my setup.
    or is the z32 aluminum racing crank pulley worth looking into/? work for me and my situation?

Moreover, my engine long block was machined and assembled by pro performance in phoenix and after reading more about how the oil pump needs installed correctly but does not have markings makes me curious if they did this correctly or if there is a way to check this before going any further. the oil pan and valve covers dont look very professionally installed since they are torqued down so much the rubber is pinching out on the screws.

more questions and concerns after these get answered. I feel these are my most concerning issues thus far.

parts acquired for the build:
    built vg34 long block,… in question
    new owo heads, ARP head bolts installed with stock turbo cams.
    newly rebuilt T3 turbo by joel at az tractor n turbo.
    all stock turbo parts acquired from a 87 automatic turbo, including
    stock oil cooler and sandwich plate for dual oil filter setup
    stock turbo ECU to match, unsure of which tho.(was 3 years ago + when i did this acquiring and researching)
    stock intake piping
    stock turbo exhaust manifolds drilled for 10mm studs and downpipe
    stock engine block cooler fan? (not sure if its the right name for it, but its block mounted and has plastic channels that go up to the heads where the air is expelled, cooling the heads)
    stock 260cc turbo injectors cleaned and bench tested by rods carb in phoenix
    stock turbo intake manifold
    stock turbo engine cross member

z32 tranny swap completed with
    pathfinder bellhousing
    pathfinder clutch, Bigger surface area.
    shortened pathfinder drive shaft, with new custom yoke.
    custom solid shifter bracket
    short throw shifter

found my old build sheet for my built engine from pro performance.
    says i had them drill the block for the stock turbo line, behind the bolt , 5 inches.
    also says i had them put on a 89 pathfinder WaterPump… can not remember why. must be for length of pulley or timing cover issues. smoked way too much since then.. so that i am guessing is what is installed on the block as of right now,…

my power goals arent as important as building a reliable engine, that will last a long time with regular maintenance.
    but i do like to burn rubber.. hehehe

will let that be for now.

dunno if they valve springs are different from owo heads to turbo heads, or if the right ones were installed.. please advise

keeping a list here. still need to do this, or better?? http://z31performance.com/showthread…-high-pressure

Many aspects of VG engine performance modification are misunderstood and debated. You will not get a clear answer unless you ask clear questions with specific details. Pictures speak 1000s of words … If you would like more input, post pictures. This crowd is select about who they offer advise to; search every resource available before asking in a new thread.

Originally posted by zdriver_kado
    Many aspects of VG engine performance modification are misunderstood and debated. You will not get a clear answer unless you ask clear questions with specific details. Pictures speak 1000s of words … If you would like more input, post pictures. This crowd is select about who they offer advise to; search every resource available before asking in a new thread.
    yup i agree. it like a stupid fucking high school click or something and their secrets are their ticket into heaven. wont keep me from keeping a build list here tho. ill just have to go elsewhere for answers.

Uhh, why the attitude?

Have you had the valve springs checked at a machine shop?
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

Originally posted by zdriver_kado
    We are? I answer anyones questions when they are asked.
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

Originally posted by nismopu View Post
    We are? I answer anyones questions when they are asked.

I agree. This isn't facebook. Unless you are asking for z32 brake swap info, we all try to be as helpful as possible here on the forum.

Is there a crank pulley that fits the vg33 crank snout with my previous setup which includes :, upgrading to titan alt mounted on the passenger side location, 89 power steering pump and matching ribbed pulley, 89 a/c and ribbed pulley, and whatever water pump im supposed to use…?? or am i on my own with this venture?

for whatever reason i had an 89 pathfinder WP installed on the new block when i had it built 3 years ( i think it has a longer snout), so since i had it running with it(the milled crank pulley) previously, then it must have lined up with the original setup. does that help? i know i have read a thousand times keep your accessories matching your crank pulley. and so thats what i did and since my machinist at the time was capable and comfortable milling the z31 crank pulley, and hadnt read not to up until that point, thats what we did for my na vg33 set up in my first two z31s.

Machine gunning through this:

blast the 33 crank pulley and use it

use a 110A alt, or a 90A if you're not running a upgraded sound system. it will line up, you may have to swap pulleys. you will have to modify or piece together an adj. bracket.

keep the 260cc inj. if you want to keep it stock. i'd suggest a minimum of 450cc, fuel pump rewiring, and NisTune

PS/WP will work, you may have to swap pulleys. no clue on A/C.. it should line up as many RWD VG engines used the same location.

owo uses single valve springs, w-series use 2 an inner and outer spring.

Originally posted by Geoffs86zx View Post
    yup i agree. it like a stupid fucking high school click or something and their secrets are their ticket into heaven. wont keep me from keeping a build list here tho. ill just have to go elsewhere for answers.
    No, many of us who were around to document this info have ether moved on or don't frequent as often - it was 7yrs ago. Even if the thread i posted years ago was copied and pasted word for word to other websites without credit (which it has), i don't care, myself and others shared and compared notes - it's not that difficult to do yourself. Not only that, but many of the setups posted are different, there is no 100% correct choice as many parts interchange to suit each application.

33 crank was what i was thinking i was gunna have to use unless there was a custom or aftermarket one available for 32mm crank, like the aluminum z32 ebay crank pulley, but not sure. which is why iam asking

ill try and get a pic of the milled crank pulley as most here prolly have not even seen it ever done, only talked about

Originally posted by 88sinZ View Post
    Machine gunning through this:

blast the 33 crank pulley and use it

use a 110A alt, or a 90A if you're not running a upgraded sound system. it will line up, you may have to swap pulleys. you will have to modify or piece together an adj. bracket.

keep the 260cc inj. if you want to keep it stock. i'd suggest a minimum of 450cc, fuel pump rewiring, and NisTune
    so , just to be sure my long block isnt gunna blow up, my engine will be fine with non-forged pistons (in case they arent, and most likely not,) being turboed at or close to stock boost,( 6-8 psi?) via T3 along with the na compression ratio of 8.9:1 fueled by the stock 260cc injectors. yes ? no? and all of this sufficiently supported by the stock turbo ecu? questions i obviously should have asked prior to planning but hey we all make mistakes right? not trying to make another or bigger one by putting this together and breaking it.

here are some pics if i can get them resized..
    Attached Files
    • 20160202_163348a.jpg (39.8 KB)