thoughts on my setup? (UPDATE WITH PICS)

• thoughts on my setup? (UPDATE WITH PICS)

well, in fact im building it right now and i have a few questions.

first, the stuff im installing.

AiResearch/Garrett t04, turb a/r .58, comp a/r .60
    Tial 46mm External Wastegate (open dump)
    Apexi AVC-R boost controller (the oldest one i guess hehe) or MBC (depends on a friend of mine, meh)
    ebay FMIC http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-x9…46171573QQrdZ1 (meh, got it for free and made it fit hehehe)
    Recirculated Crushed DSM bov
    2.5" pipes

Relocated the turbo to the front (2.5" pipe from the manifold to the turbo, 3" downpipe)

The mods that are already in the car:
    3" exhaust with dynomax superturbo 3"in 3"out muffler
    Maxima alternator
    Electric fan with thermostatic control

.. now.. for the injectors i can pick 380cc or 450cc (1g dsm or 2g dsm), wich ones should i pick? (im going to send them to a shop to get them cleaned and balanced anyways)
    .. for the EWG, i can pick the 44mm v-band or the 46mm (does it really matter?), with the 1bar spring or the .5 bar spring.
    .. i can pick a SAFC-II right now, or wait and get nistune (i would rather have nistune installed)

well, when i get my setup installed im going to tune it with a wideband (LM-1) (or at least try to tune it), but how much boost should i tune it for?, the weather here is like, hmmmmm, hell (120 F @ 1pm), i always use 91 octane gas (higher you can get here {87 or 91}) but its shit quality so it sould be like 90 or 89, im running an na2t 87 engine in an 85t body.

any suggestions and opinions are welcome (even if you want to flame :-) ) {just save the grammar complaints, im trying my best hehehe}

i'll post pictures tomorrow.

----------------------------------------
    UPDATE:
    my friends and i just finished relocating the turbo & installing the bov, ic, ewg.

we still have to weld the downpipe to the exhaust (we're gonna do it tomorrow)

Missing: 450cc injectors, EBC, nistune

i picked 450cc, i used the 44mm tial vband wastegate (.5bar spring) & installed the dsm bov (i think it's not working, i dont know for sure, because we finished late (2:30am))

i could drive it to my house (10 blocks away) and it felt like another car, it spooled later than the t3 (obviously) but at just 5 psi you could feel the power hehehe, but it dies sometimes when you let off the throttle (i think its related to the hose at the idle valve {bent too much}, i got to fix that tomorrow)

bah, i thought i had better pictures (crappy phone), i'll upload some more when i can download the ones i took with the digital camera.
    1987 300zx, VG33, Manual, Megasquirt, 450cc, T04,Tial 44mm External WG, ebay IC, crushed dsm blowoff, Apexi AVC-R at 15psi, efan, 3" exhaust with dynomax muffler, LSD.

Re: thoughts on my setup?

100% go for the 450cc's; it'll save you from having to upgrade down the road. I'd play things safe and go with the .5 bar wastegate spring and use the boost controller to turn things up.

Tuning questions I can't help you there.
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

ya still need a fuel pump …

i think it will be good for 350-375 whp @ 20-23 psi

oops, forgot about that… in my list now , thank you
    1987 300zx, VG33, Manual, Megasquirt, 450cc, T04,Tial 44mm External WG, ebay IC, crushed dsm blowoff, Apexi AVC-R at 15psi, efan, 3" exhaust with dynomax muffler, LSD.

Bigger turbo better Blow off valve. 44mm gate. IMO
    Praying....

update

The turbo is kinda small, go with 450's and a 44mm WG is plenty big. I agree get the 1/2 bar and start tuning there, less chance to blow it up.... screw the SAFC, go nistune its not much more and you have full control

That looks really cool man! Good job!!!

This difference in the 380cc vs. the 450cc injectors is not because of 1g or 2g. It is because the auto turbo DSM's use smaller turbos and smaller injectors while the manuals use the larger turbos and larger injectors.

But anyways, yes, go with the larger 450cc injectors.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

Nice Setup. Very different :-D

Terrible idea putting those wheels on…

roastin300 wrote: The turbo is kinda small, go with 450's and a 44mm WG is plenty big. I agree get the 1/2 bar and start tuning there, less chance to blow it up.... screw the SAFC, go nistune its not much more and you have full control
    im going to clean and balance the 450cc, i picked the 44mm because i could pick either the 44mm or the 46mm, and of course the .5 bar spring, im going to save for nistune then. (anyways i got the safc2 for free). Thanks.

chronic wrote: That looks really cool man! Good job!!!MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Nice Setup. Very different :-D
    thanks

SATAN wrote:
    This difference in the 380cc vs. the 450cc injectors is not because of 1g or 2g. It is because the auto turbo DSM's use smaller turbos and smaller injectors while the manuals use the larger turbos and larger injectors.

But anyways, yes, go with the larger 450cc injectors.
    meeh, 450cc all the way then. thanks

You may consider making a heat shield.. or 5, if you're keeping your turbo that close to the radiator.. just my opinion.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

in fact im going to insulate the pipes and the turbine (i just burned my hand with it), thanks for the advice.

Coso[rck wrote: ]

bah, i thought i had better pictures (crappy phone), i'll upload some more when i can download the ones i took with the digital camera.
    In that second picture it looks like your intercooler piping runs under your turbo. Not really the best design IMO. Looks to be plenty of room to re-route though…
    "produce first.talk second."

Turbos hate the inlet effect… any restriction before the turbo needs to be removed. Stick the MAF directly to the compressor, and get rid of that pipe. It looks like a 2.5 or 2.75 inch, so that needs to go.

Re-rout the intercooler pipe on top of the turbo, but keep it away from the turbine housing. remember that 1 foot of bend is like 6 feet of straight, so keep the piping as simple as you can.

A bigger turbo would be a good idea. The SAFC is a really bad idea. You will probably end up melting pistons if you use an SAFC. Nistune is more expensive, but it is a lot cheaper and easier than pulling an engine. Also, nistune is a hell of a lot cheaper than a haltech or microtech, and has similar options for it. Have the car tuned by a reputable shop, as inexperienced tuning is the #1 cause of engine failure on a modified turbo car.
    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.