Champion CC762 3-Row aluminum radiator installation & review

• Champion CC762 3-Row aluminum radiator installation & review

Initial unboxing is very sturdy packaging, FedEx 2day was decently bubble wrapped and Styrofoam'd direct from Champion.

Upon dropping it in the petcock bumped on the lower structural lip preventing complete seating of the driver side 'donut'. It's a 9/16 that needs to be removed, even so it requires you palm bump it into place after the petcock is removed. Modifications should be expected when adding a row to the radiator.

Upper mount tabs were a bit wonky, easily torqued into place with channel locks with no ill effects. Not sure if they were tweaked on the jig or in shipping, i'll give the benefit of the doubt and say it was rough handling. --- I should note i'm using sway bar end link bushings to isolate the radiator and position it high enough to run the TR-10 IC.

The further most cross brace also was interfering with the upper inlet location so it did require i cut away a section of structural bracing.PIC 7-8

Build quality looks good, i have yet to pressure test it but have no doubts that it will be of quality construction.
    Last edited by 88sinZ; 09-03-2016, 12:23 AM.

pics of stuff
    Attached Files
    • IMAG0134[1].jpg (1.33 MB)
    • IMAG0135[1].jpg (1.35 MB)

pics of stuff

pics of stuff and things radiator

Maxima fans seat well, they do require a bit more trimming of the excess that is allowed in OEM radiator positioning. Other wise core dimensions appear to remain the same while core depth is improved.

Pic #2 in first post shows the gap of about 1/3 or 1/4", it's tight. Tried to use valve cover bolt seats to dampen but they didn't provide enough height to locate my IC in its best position with a hack job bracket from years back so i retained the swaybar rubber bushings as dampers.
    Last edited by 88sinZ; 09-03-2016, 12:20 AM.

Great review 88sinZ! Had to do all the same minor modifications during the install on 2 different Z31's. It may be worth noting 1 was made 4 years ago or so & the other was last year. They were exactly the same besides the older radiator wasn't polished as much. Maxima fans definitely fit with some trimming of the shroud. I personally found it easier to hold the fans up against the bottom of the headlight buckets while sliding the radiator in. Then lowering the fans onto the radiator. If your looking for a radiator replacement for your Z31 this is the 1!
    Originally posted by Racinjitter
    :lol: Those of us who say A/C FTW all have a g/f or wife. ac+women=more quiet=possibility of sex. -
    ac+women=SUPER BITCHING=no sex.

Nice review 88.

Rewired and bled it through a few hot/cool cycles.

Engine stays noticeably cooler, about 1/8th of the gauge below middle after a fan cycle, and sits about 1/16 below middle at cruise. It feels like it pulls much better and oil temps are holding 20F below previous - along with no oil temp creep up at sitting idle.

Thermostat is Nismo 170F(76C), i think switch is 180F(82C)? Honestly I can't remember. it is located in the LIM driver side port with an adapter. It does stay on much longer after shut down VS placing it in the lower radiator port, and i'm glad because it acts as a engine bay fan to cool the engine from heat soak.

Haven't data logged temps or its effect on AFR's but will at the next opportunity
    Last edited by 88sinZ; 09-05-2016, 11:05 PM.

First reply here in a very long time. My Z is overheating in the Florida summer heat with the A/C on and I want to perform this modification. I have a couple questions if you don't mind. I found the radiator on Amazon, is that the best place to buy? Is the dual Maxima fans still the Best choice or is there a better after market option? I am an old guy and don't have money issues. If there is a an easier more expensive option that works just as well, I would rather go that option. Thanks!
    2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Fellow old guy with no money issues here. I bought this FFDynamics shroud and fans kit off ebay. Fit perfectly first time, works great, looks pretty sexy, blows a shit-ton of air. Mount the fans on the rad first and put the assembly into the engine bay from below.
    FOR NISSAN 300ZX ELECTRIC COOLING FAN CONVERSION KIT 84-89 CUSTOM FAN SYSTEM in eBay Motors, Parts & Accessories, Car & Truck Parts | eBay

Originally posted by CAG8OR View Post
    First reply here in a very long time. My Z is overheating in the Florida summer heat with the A/C on and I want to perform this modification. I have a couple questions if you don't mind. I found the radiator on Amazon, is that the best place to buy? Is the dual Maxima fans still the Best choice or is there a better after market option? I am an old guy and don't have money issues. If there is a an easier more expensive option that works just as well, I would rather go that option. Thanks!
    I've installed some fans from a mercury cougar in my SS and it was almost a drop in once the shroud was removed and the mounting ears on the fan were cut off.

"Ford Contour / Mercury Mystique 4CYL Dual Fan 95-00 / 6CYL 95-97&99-00 / 6CYL without SVT Model 98 / Mercury Cougar 2.0L / 2.5L 99-02 Radiator , A/C Fan Assembly "

http://www.westcoastcovers.com/330-55008-000.html

I think i paid ~40 bucks for mine at the u-pull yard.

Even though i've not technically driven the car with them, they are a good fit.

Here is a previous thread about efans with good info:

https://z31performance.com/forum/z31…-electric-fans

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

CAG, i ordered this from amazon as well, sold by NextGenAutoParts. $213 w/free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0…?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There may be easier options with other fans, but you will still be required to make a shroud. The Maxi fans require the outer edges be trimmed to fit, not sure if you can locate new (for ease) but junkyards have them readily available with the drawback of having to locate and pull one.

It should help, but i'd recommend going over the cooling system components as well. The Champion radiator does not have the A/C condenser fan switch bung in the lower driver side which is 16x1.5, i cross threaded in a 1/4 MIP to 1/8 NPT adaptor for my fan switch in the LIM port which is a 1/4 BSPT https://z31performance.com/forum/z31…-switch-thread

i've got some wiring diagrams for the maxi fans if you go that route, just post up here or send a PM
    Last edited by 88sinZ; 09-13-2016, 09:48 PM.

Thanks gentlemen!

I have some more questions, after reading nearly all E-Fan threads last night. I have two spare LIM's sitting on my table. The threads are Not 1/4BSPT from what I can tell. They are simply M12X1.25. I have both a M12X1.25 bolt and tap and both thread into all four holes on both of my spares. That is two holes left and right side of the LIM on two separate LIM's. I make a point of this because a M12X1.25 to 1/8" NPT adaptor is readily available from Kinugwa Turbo Parts. I am curious what temperature range switches you are using for each fan. I assume at 175 off 185 on for fan 1 and a 185 off and 200 on for fan 2. Does anybody have a link for the best wiring configuration? I have used the Derale Switch for a long time and honestly, it is a POS.
    2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

I have two spare LIM's sitting on my table. The threads are Not 1/4BSPT from what I can tell. They are simply M12X1.25. I have both a M12X1.25 bolt and tap and both thread into all four holes on both of my spares.

Awesome! I updated my post with your info.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Maybe the way Nissan did it is good inspiration.