James Rear Mount Equal Length Tubular Headers - Test fitted to car

• Flange is awesome, I'm impressed how beefy it is. 5 mins and my hand tools it will look as good as your CNC one !
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

• Nice progress; I've been lurking this thread for a while.

If the final product turns out well and allows for keeping the A/C, AND can be fabbed for significantly less than the cost of the Avante headers ($3500!!!) then I am definitely interested in a set of these. A/C retention is an absolute must for me though.
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

• Looks awesome! Keep it up brother. (:
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…2-2-(-now-NA2T
    My build thread (:

• Parker;345582 wrote: Nice progress; I've been lurking this thread for a while.

If the final product turns out well and allows for keeping the A/C, AND can be fabbed for significantly less than the cost of the Avante headers ($3500!!!) then I am definitely interested in a set of these. A/C retention is an absolute must for me though.
    Yeah Its looking unlikely to keep the AC, I could build it like that but I don't have Any AC parts anymore myself. I'm going to opt for fitment that gives more direct IC piping. 5 years ago my intentions were to work with a stock look but now that I'm chasing power that's slowly going out the window.
    85 Turbo Slick Top

• Had a bit of a play with the V bands today, I'm definitely going to run the LHS V Band where it is I'm happy with that one, but i need to rework the RHS a bit because I want the Vand closer to the merge collector and I would like to put the flexi where the V band sits in that photo. But i was getting clearance issues with the plenum.

I don't have a plenum spacer shown in that photo, but I still want a reasonable air gap. Some time on the bench is required to get that sorted out.

85 Turbo Slick Top

• I dig it. Keep up the good work.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

• Well I can honestly confirm that Stock location equal length headers are not possible.

So now that it has been put to bed I have some sweet progress from today, Gone with the full top mount AC Turbo positon and Im loving it.

Pics will do the talking. it has been test fitted to the parts block with no clearance issues .

85 Turbo Slick Top

• What size turbo you going with? This should be able to spool something significantly bigger equally fast

• Take no notice of the T3, i have a GT3582 Journal bearing with a 0.62 hotside on the car at the moment.

On the cast manifolds i could get 8-10 psi by about 3000rpm with the GT35. I'm hoping for a huge improvement.
    85 Turbo Slick Top

• I'm impressed. ..turned out a lot better than I thought it was
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

• I have run out of materials for the time being, but the next thing to to fabricate a couple of double slip joints to connect the Turbo flange and piping to the 2-1 Y merge.

Loosely speaking I think the best place for the double slip joint will be between the 2 hold down brackets, the turbo flange will be bolted solid to the old AC M10 bolt holes in the head, And the support brackets will be drilled to 11.5mm to account for thermal expansion ( as per maximum boosts recommendation )

This should alleviate thermal stress and still provide solid anchoring. Looks like I will need one more 2" v band to go on the end of the 2-1 collector.

Oh, and this is it on an actual engine block

85 Turbo Slick Top

• God this setup keeps getting better. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see this finished and running.
    87 300ZX: VG33ET, 30a, Bilsteins/Eibachs, Stance tension rods, MSA sway bars, Cusco strut braces, ASCO Camber plates, RCA's and motor mounts, poly everything else.

• james;345739 wrote: Well I can honestly confirm that Stock location equal length headers are not possible.
    What ended up being the problem? Interference with the turbo to the manifold themselves?
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

• floridaZ;345850 wrote: What ended up being the problem? Interference with the turbo to the manifold themselves?
    Yeah, the flange would be stuck directly to the manifold with no way of feeding the flange. It just wasn't going to work. So for the sake of making these things happen after 6 years I went with the tried and proven AC position.

Not as much " I proved i could do it" as i had hoped, so im going to settle for just normal totally bad ass one of a kind maximum effort turbo headers
    85 Turbo Slick Top