James Rear Mount Equal Length Tubular Headers - Test fitted to car

• James Rear Mount Equal Length Tubular Headers - Test fitted to car

This is my Design Proposal

Before i get flamed, I want to prove or dis prove that equal length headers can work with the turbo at the stock location.

The headers are modeled to scale

The rest is a BASIC BASIC BASIC design mock up to give me something to work from and tweak up later.

The point of this topic is not about just using stock manifolds or using a front mount turbo.

I think It can work, if i can get more space for the turbo and turbo feed pipe.

I think Stage 2 will be to take measurement from the car, do a model of a block & gearbox to check clearance.

Any comments welcome.

Mods please move this if its in the incorrect forum.
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

Re: Tubular Headers to keep turbo in stock location

That would be a pretty impressive project if you actually built a set. Actually pretty impressive that you created a model.

The first question that needs to be asked is related to length and diameters. How did you determine what those measurements should be?
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Is there room behind the motor and firewall to do that?

As it is drawn it will hit the tranny, going much higher than stock will hit the intake, it could be done, but it will probably not be an optimum configuration for exhaust gas flow

Steve88t wrote: That would be a pretty impressive project if you actually built a set. Actually pretty impressive that you created a model.

The first question that needs to be asked is related to length and diameters. How did you determine what those measurements should be?
    I have set the primaries diameter set at 40mm OD just as something to go from, and the secondaries to the Y join at 50mm OD and 60mm OD for the turbo feed pipe.

Primary Length Comes in around about 320 - 350mm range ( yes they need balanced out )
    Secondary Length Comes in at 280mm

Steve88t, this is just how it came out

That model Is Rough Rough Rough.

I believe my design would be like placing another crossover pope on top of a normal Z31 crossover as far as height is concerned. I can see it being level with the top of a valve cover.

I'm certain this will require a Sheet metal plenum and some clever heat shields. As Windsor Pointed out it would hit the stock plenum.

I am a reasonable Cad guy, this was a hack job- however as the cad progresses and it looks like things will fit- I may consider building the crossover pipe & turbo feed pipe and go from there if its sucessfull.
    85 Turbo Slick Top

This would definitely look awesome. how would you go about making them?

I have roughly kept my design to only use one radius of bend throughout to keep it reasonable for cutting and welding.

Plan was to use thick wall steel, maybe Satan can recommend a wall thickness?

My plan was to use the engine from my parts car as a massive jig and slowly piece things up so that they stay as compact as possible, and true to the final design that i use.

Basically to build them i would create an individual drawing for each runner ( 1:1 scale ) and work from that to make sure i get my angles cut right.

I would cut and tack weld everything for an engineer to do all the tig welding. I have decent access to a bench grinder, band saw & huge Welder.

I have never built headers before, but to be honest the welding is the hard part, because with a CAD model i already know where stuff goes, and i have the cutting gear already.
    85 Turbo Slick Top

OK so it is more of a "can it be made to fit" concept than anything. I'd think in most engine bays this is not feasible. However, once you strip out unwanted items and relocate some of the others it may be possible. That Y in the middle is your problem. You may consider moving it further to the driver side and extend the driver side common pipe to keep things even. That would reduce the amount of rats nest on the back of the heads.

Indeed, main issue is that you are going to run out of space between the transmission and intake very quickly collecting it at that point

Windzer wrote: As it is drawn it will hit the tranny, going much higher than stock will hit the intake, it could be done, but it will probably not be an optimum configuration for exhaust gas flow
    raise the Y pipe a little bit and run a pathfinder intake…you have to raise the hood for the pathy anyways so it will fit probably…

1988 570zx SS Edition

Originally posted by Neil86t
    Just get a slick paint job like mine and its all good. I had a girl that said she wanted to lick my car. She ended up licking my sack…end of story. Bitch ain't gonna lick my car.

Cool idea, but where is the wastegate? Pretty much all of the interference issues that I see have been discussed.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Racinjitter wrote: Cool idea, but where is the wastegate? Pretty much all of the interference issues that I see have been discussed.
    Wastegates are for pussies. Besides, there are several ways to control boost other than a wastegate.

Actually, there is so much piping there that you aren't going to want to use a thick walled stainless. Yeah if you used a schedule 10 pipe, it would be super strong BUT, think about the weight you are putting on the heads. The cast iron mani's are already heavy but that much stainless is going to be even heavier if it is a thick sched 10 or similar. Then again, if you are bracing it, it wont matter…

One other thing you have to consider is going to be thermal expansion. The longer the individual runners, the more expansion there is going to be. To me it looks like your turbo is going to be moving around quite a bit. That is going to be tricky to make a brace for. The brace would have to hold the weight of the turbo AND allow it to move around while the manifolds are expanding.

When you do your final fitting and tack welding, make sure you keep in mind that the individual welding the pipes is going to have to be able to get his torch in there to weld all the way around the pipes. This can be VERY difficult when pipes get too close together. Even the best welder will sometimes have to make it look like shit just so they are sure it is actually sealed all the way, if they are too tight together.

I like what you got going on there. I personally thing it would be easier to go around the front of the engine. If you are going through the trouble to make these things, chances are good that there is little left in the engine bay that is stock. Going around the front would allow you to run an E-fan and give you tons of room to work with in front of the pulleys. Thats just my opinion though.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

[quote]Steve88t wrote:
    Originally posted by Racinjitter
    Cool idea, but where is the wastegate? Pretty much all of the interference issues that I see have been discussed.
    Wastegates are for pussies. Besides, there are several ways to control boost other than a wastegate.
    Yeah, its called "Feather the throttle".
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

But what if you have a digital foot? My foot only goes to WOT and nothing…
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.