James Rear Mount Equal Length Tubular Headers - Test fitted to car

Re: Tubular Headers to keep turbo in stock location

SATAN wrote: . I personally thing it would be easier to go around the front of the engine. If you are going through the trouble to make these things, chances are good that there is little left in the engine bay that is stock. Going around the front would allow you to run an E-fan and give you tons of room to work with in front of the pulleys. Thats just my opinion though.
    Great Advice Jon

I am trying to do a super stealthy setup, that looks visually tidy and functions perfectly. It is a lot of extra hassle to keep the turbo where it started and yes it makes things harder, but for me personally I would like to keep it "looking" fairly Normal but with some flash exhaust manifolds.

Lots of Jap cars have flash manifolds but not many of them are setup TOTALLY different to stock.

I mostly want to do it just because nobody has ever done one like this. And its a great excuse to build some super awesome manifolds while the motor is on the engine stand getting built. "typical setup, pistons,rods,cams,springs,porting,nistune & injectors etc.

If the equal length donsn't work out i will still use baisc manifold design for a "Street fighter style front mount" if i have to.

Next installment will be a better cad model complete with dummy engine block & heads to hopefully demonstrate that it will fit.
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

Does someone have an actual model of the complete engine, with or without intake?
    I use SoldWorks all day long an am interested in trying a few hypothetical’s, it would be easier not starting from scratch..
    Then all we need to do is model in the rest of the car.. LOL…
    Kevin
    ---------------------------------------
    1986 NA 5sp - Bone stock, but in good shape

I don't understand why you would take so much time and effort custom fabricating headers to keep the turbo in the stock location…it makes little to no sense seeing as access to the turbo in the stock location is terrible let alone figuring out a solution to work the intake by the stock motor mount as well as overall turbo size restriction between the block and frame…it seems as though creating a different turbo mounting spot as others have done and creating a new downpipe would make a lot more sense and be much better/easier to work on later.

Maybe I just don't understand your drive to do this…

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
    1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
    1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
    2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
    2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

K_Scheeringa wrote: Does someone have an actual model of the complete engine, with or without intake?
    I use SoldWorks all day long an am interested in trying a few hypothetical’s, it would be easier not starting from scratch..
    Then all we need to do is model in the rest of the car.. LOL…
    summer project i'm going to be working on,

i've got SW at home, just waiting to finish up some finals and start crackin at the block which is going to be one of the longest parts of the job.

i dont know why you would want it in the stock location to begin with…it limits the size of the turbo, to what a holset? compared to satans location witch has a gt42r....

you say a holset like those can't be big… lol

welcome to the hx82

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

My experience with equal length headers on porsche 935s was that they only helped off boost torque and made the same levels as the seemingly horrible headers the 935s came with.

Back in 1986, we got some headers from Al Holbert's 962 car and decided to duplicate the setup to run on a rear engine car (pictured 935/930s slopenose).

This is a single turbo porsche 935 as mandated by IMSA GTO rules.

That car has 70,000 racing miles on it.

When the engine went up to andial, it actually dyno'd 35hp less but did have some driveability improvements at certain parts of the rpm range.

Our drivers did not like them and the lap times at summit point showed that both drivers were getting slower lap times as they were fully aclimated to the crazy peaky on/off nature of the original setup.

I've noticed that the shorter the distance between the head and the turbo nets the best hp and boost response........if the short trip doesn't include sharp angles.

HowlerMonkey wrote: I've noticed that the shorter the distance between the head and the turbo nets the best hp and boost response........if the short trip doesn't include sharp angles.
    And that cross-over pipe is taking ALOT of potential HP out of VG30E engine.
    1984 300ZXT
    1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

HowlerMonkey wrote: My experience with equal length headers on porsche 935s was that they only helped off boost torque and made the same levels as the seemingly horrible headers the 935s came with.

Back in 1986, we got some headers from Al Holbert's 962 car and decided to duplicate the setup to run on a rear engine car (pictured 935/930s slopenose).

This is a single turbo porsche 935 as mandated by IMSA GTO rules.

That car has 70,000 racing miles on it.

When the engine went up to andial, it actually dyno'd 35hp less but did have some driveability improvements at certain parts of the rpm range.

Our drivers did not like them and the lap times at summit point showed that both drivers were getting slower lap times as they were fully aclimated to the crazy peaky on/off nature of the original setup.

I've noticed that the shorter the distance between the head and the turbo nets the best hp and boost response........if the short trip doesn't include sharp angles.
    And this is why it blows my mind that the STS rear mounted turbo's actually do ok and sell so well.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

Ive got a Fairly Solid and Compact Design for a header pretty well sorted out.I will probably post up some stuff once I've done some math on primary and secondary lengths and diameters.

I will hopefully have some completed drawings up in a couple weeks & then maybe some Fabrication.

I might still go with a similar header but just use the unequal length crossover.

Even if I am forced to go with a front mount setup, the manifold/collector will still be drawn & built.

Cheers guys.
    85 Turbo Slick Top

I know a couple of crown victoria guys who rear mounted turbos and both had carpet fires after running it hard and parking it.

I can imagine it's pretty risky to have 10 feet of red hot piping under the car as anything pre-turbo has the potential to get that hot.

Taris Blue wrote: I don't understand why you would take so much time and effort custom fabricating headers to keep the turbo in the stock location
    because some people (me included) want to keep their A/C
    1987 Turbo (Ex-NA).

My Z31 Videos

None the less some people like a more stealthy install..

theres quite a few people that made some serious HP number with the turbo in the stock location on the stock manifold
    1989 300ZX 2+2 N/A GLL
    Auto to Manual Swap
    NA2T Complete

[quote]NYZDude wrote:
    Originally posted by Taris Blue
    I don't understand why you would take so much time and effort custom fabricating headers to keep the turbo in the stock location
    because some people (me included) want to keep their A/C
    This is a good point, however its not the reason I'm building manifolds.
    I would rather not bother with the cast manifolds as i know I can do a better job, this is also a great opportunity to design headers & get my cams done to match.

as it happens i would prefer to keep the turbo in the stock location. While some of you don't agree with it that's fine because its my car and its my choice. I also want to prove it Can be done easily by somebody willing to think about things and put some time into it with a good result.

I like the front mount setups but I just don't think i can get away with that and still pass my inspection.

I also greatly enjoy designing and building with these kind of projects.

on a more positive note

I have ordered Flanges from a local supplier & I have completed the "header" part of my cad model and i will post up some more detailed drawings soon. & maybe in couple weeks have some Fabrication pictures.
    85 Turbo Slick Top

My flanges arrived today

Cost was $78 NZD so around $45 USD for both sides .

as it turns out they are drilled for 10mm studs, which wont matter as half of the studs in my heads were broken and sheared off needing drilled out anyways.

also I will need to carefully re align the holes in the flanges so it keeps the step there. to keep things nice and tidy and to help with "reversion"

So Yeah

More to come once some other materials arrive & my heads are Re drilled.
    85 Turbo Slick Top