Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i
    1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
    http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Re: Tubular Headers to keep turbo in stock location

Hey Nivo

Sorry about the lack of progress

I have been having issues getting my car running properly to get it on the dyno.

Old manifolds on Dyno need to happen before new manifolds get fitted so that I can have a decent comparison to the old vs new setup.

It could be a little while before these are on the car, but good things take time…keep on waiting mate the good will arrive eventually
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

still not quite invisioning how the turbo gets mounted. I see someone said the turbo is on the other side over there, but then I look at the manifold you used a comparison and it looks like my stock manifold… soooo where is the turbo going?

also. if my eyes are deceiving me, and you guys do have the turbos on the other side, wouldn't that make a twin turbo kit pretty easy if we just got manifolds from your side of the planet and bolted them on? LOL.

just wondering.

Careless wrote: still not quite invisioning how the turbo gets mounted. I see someone said the turbo is on the other side over there, but then I look at the manifold you used a comparison and it looks like my stock manifold… soooo where is the turbo going?

also. if my eyes are deceiving me, and you guys do have the turbos on the other side, wouldn't that make a twin turbo kit pretty easy if we just got manifolds from your side of the planet and bolted them on? LOL.

just wondering.
    The turbo is on the same side, our passenger side, your drivers side. If it was on the other side then a lot of stuff would have to be moved
    Originally posted by TearingRaven
    Honestly, if you have to ask this question and common sense does not kick in immediately, you need to be riding the bus. Preferably while wearing a helmet.

Its just a confusing looking picture,

turbo is mounted on the same side, what it will do is ON A RHD CAR the driver side manifold will cross over much the same way as OEM does and follow along on to a turbo flange.

then the other manifold will merge into it using a Y
    merge collector of some sort, it will merge in to be in the approximate place to attempt to keep lengths equal.

don't make me bust out a CAD Model :-D
    85 Turbo Slick Top

james wrote: don't make me bust out a CAD :-D
    please do.

firefox wrote:

those are going to be worse off for performance then a stock manifold.
    i HIGHLY recommend ceramic coating those things so your spool isn't too much worse

all that extra surface area and thin wall is going to lower your heat expansion significantly which is what makes the turbo work
    All of this information is incorrect. Firefox is talking out of his ass.

You will see a huge gain in upper RPM power (if you have the heads/intake manifold to support it) as well as a completely different sound from the car. Stock manifolds suck ass, and sound like ass. Take Milo's car as proof.
    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

I agree.

These manifolds should flow much better than stock. I am a bit sad to see you didn't chose an externally gated and divided turbine, but perhaps on your next upgrade.

James, I know your a CAD guy. Why not do some flow testing in Cosmos or similar?
    "produce first.talk second."

[quote]StreetFighter wrote:
    Originally posted by firefox

i HIGHLY recommend ceramic coating those things so your spool isn't too much worse

all that extra surface area and thin wall is going to lower your heat expansion significantly which is what makes the turbo work

You will see a huge gain in upper RPM power (if you have the heads/intake manifold to support it) as well as a completely different sound from the car. Stock manifolds suck ass, and sound like ass. Take Milo's car as proof.
    i think he stated he only wanted like 10 psi or something

i was saying you would be better off having the stock manifold at that power level for spool time.

the stock shit would not be restrictive at 10psi. the thick cast low internal volume stock manifolds would help lower the boost threshold because more heat is retained (more cfm for the same mass of air helping to boost sooner.)

i could see making custom manifolds like that if he wanted 15+ psi on a larger turbo.

firefox wrote:
    i think he stated he only wanted like 10 psi or something

i was saying you would be better off having the stock manifold at that power level for spool time.

the stock shit would not be restrictive at 10psi. the thick cast low internal volume stock manifolds would help lower the boost threshold because more heat is retained (more cfm for the same mass of air helping to boost sooner.)

i could see making custom manifolds like that if he wanted 15+ psi on a larger turbo.
    Aren't you the one trying to use VQ40 manifolds for a twin turbo setup? And planning to break 1000 horsepower? LOL

James, listen to streetfighter. He knows his stuff :-D
    The bullshit stops, when the GREEN light drops.

Only babies cry about the bottle.

Umm yeah, where to begin.............

Firefox > whatever soon enough I will have some numbers to prove people right or wrong so leave it at that.

Mike > Thanks for some good info over the past while in a few different topics and your right my next upgrade will be an external and a new exhaust housing for that turbo
    ( broke broke broke right now and I can't even get it to run on all 6 cylinders properly )
    That RX7 hot side is a twin scroll with twin internal gates so it should control boost much better than your average internal gate setup

Street fighter > thanks buddy, I'm running the schneider cam grind everybody goes for and my heads are ported with 3 angle valve job back cut & swirl polished with the lower intake manifold all hand finished like the cylinder heads.
    rebuilt stock bottom end to get things setup and going good before i move to a fully forged vg33.( long term )

I promised myself not to cut up and build an intake plenum Until I have finished the exhaust manifolds
    85 Turbo Slick Top

less YAP, more CAD. :nanan?re

[quote]StreetFighter wrote:
    Originally posted by firefox

and that is what the VG30 should sound like… the log manifolds with the crossover pipe going into the drivers side manifold just don't sound so good.
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i
    1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
    http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

yeah, the VG-E sounds awesome with tubular manifolds.
    most only know the VG-E by its signature "dying moose" sound with the log mani's.

james, i'd consider purchasing a set from you.

[quote]firefox wrote:
    Originally posted by ZFast88Z

Aren't you the one trying to use VQ40 manifolds for a twin turbo setup? And planning to break 1000 horsepower? LOL

James, listen to streetfighter. He knows his stuff :-D
    how big are the stock ports? 38mm
    how big is the stock manifolds port size… 40 mm

you dont want to make the manifolds to much bigger then the stock port size all the way thru to the collector. you want to make it 2-4mm bigger then the stock port size and as short and as few bends as possible otherwise it just makes your shit raise the boost threshold and lowers gas velocity and heat expansion.

its like a river, the bigger you go the slower the water moves. and when you factor in the heat loss, bigger is not better.
    Lets see, listen to the guy using VQ40 manifolds and wanting to make 1000 horspower or a guy that works for Boost Logic making 700 horsepower out of a compound system, or the guy making 700 horsepower out of a parallel twin VG and soon to be a 1000....Hmm I wonder. And to top it all off you referenced it to the amount of boost he is going to run. LOL

Bigger is not always better, but he will be just fine. Hes not hurting spool any. However, the manifold should be coated.
    The bullshit stops, when the GREEN light drops.

Only babies cry about the bottle.